Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-12-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Tourneys w/ unlimited re-buys? Please Help!!!

Hello everyone!
I have a question about NL hold'em tourneys with unlimited re-buys. Is there something I don't know or is there a different strategy for such tournaments because as the tournament began people are jamming all in on practically any two cards in hopes of doubling up, on and on. The tournament im playing in was running for only 30 minutes and someone already has 40,000 chips.
Whats the deal? Can anyone help, im new to this unlimited rebuy structure.
Thank you!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Tourneys w/ unlimited re-buys? Please Help!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone!
I have a question about NL hold'em tourneys with unlimited re-buys. Is there something I don't know or is there a different strategy for such tournaments because as the tournament began people are jamming all in on practically any two cards in hopes of doubling up, on and on. The tournament im playing in was running for only 30 minutes and someone already has 40,000 chips.
Whats the deal? Can anyone help, im new to this unlimited rebuy structure.
Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think ppl. are trying to do during the re-buy peroid?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:32 AM

I'm not sure how to approach a re-buy tourney either. the first hour is insanity. just looking to double up, then double up again and again then buy an add-on. a friend of mine told me he rebought 38 times in the pokerstars $10 re-buy! he's a great tourney player with excellent results, but i'm looking for more insight into it besides, "hey dude just go all-in"-momo
Old 11-13-2005, 12:55 AM

I used to hate them and think they were total crapshoots.Now that I've got the hang of it,rebuys have become my favorite.
The object during the rebuy period is to get lots of chips on the table.Some people will push with any two and hope to get lucky.I'll push with AK or any pair 10's or better.
I make sure to have 6-7 buyins avaiable.I always rebuy right off the bat to start with double chips and double rebuy if I bust.I'll always take the add on unless I'm in the top 3 spots.
After the rebuy period it's all about deep stacked poker.
I've been cashing far more in rebuys lately than freezeouts.I love em!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The tournament im playing in was running for only 30 minutes and someone already has 40,000 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever wonder if heehaws FT?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:26 AM

Your goal should be to get to about 4-5x the buy-in by the break. ie at the pokerstars 10+1 you want at leat 8k in chips, but if you get to 12k or more, you don't want to risk them unless you've got a real premium situation or outstanding pot odds. The reason is 8-12k is enough to survive the first hour and not be in push or fold mode. But if you've only got 5k, it's too easy to get pushed around by bigger stacks. You don't need 20k.

Take a look at the lobby during the break of a rebuy and note who the leaders are. somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of them will not even make the money, and usually it is not one of them who wins it. only 2 or 3 of the top 25 will be at the FT.

You need to be willing to rebuy, but you must also have a stopping point. If you double rebuy more than six or seven times, you have to make it really deep into the tourney to break even and even having a big stack after the first hour is not going to help you in the third hour and later.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The tournament im playing in was running for only 30 minutes and someone already has 40,000 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever wonder if heehaws FT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you write two full sentences instead?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to be willing to rebuy, but you must also have a stopping point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been mentioned twice and is not true. Assuming you are br'ed for the rebuys then you should only leave if you have a bad table and it's semi-close to the break. If you have a good or very good table you shouldn't leave.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:55 AM

What you say is true to a point- but if you take your logic to an extreme- If you double rebuy, go all in, lose, repeat x 8 (with maybe a win in there somewhere that later gets eaten up by a loss) and take the add on, you've got 17 buy-ins and maybe only 5k in chips- not a good enough chance to last long enough to make up for all those buy ins.