Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Default I won a stud tourney without a clue.What did I do right?

I've been playing the $5+1s on Party just for the experience.I'll admit I'm pretty new to stud and I don't think I'm that good at it yet but somehow I took one down last night with 576 people for $700.This is how I approached it.How much of this was correct?
Early stage.Only enter pots with solid starting hands.Big pairs with straight or flush potential.3 card straights or flushes with live high cards etc.At this point in the game many people chase to far with junk.I capitilized on the chip bleeders while being very careful not to be one.
Middle stage.At this point once the antes and bring in got to be substantial,it was common for the high door card to auto complete in a steal attempt.If I had anything decent,I'd fire back for quite a few successful resteals.I'd make high card steals as well but not get carried away with it,mixing it up between firing with air and actually having a hand.
Late stage,last 4 tables.This where it got tough.At this point a healthy balance of balls and luck were the only answer.The big stacks were turning up the pressure and the small stacks(me) held tight waiting for strong starting hands to go to the felt with.I'd wait until I had a big pair with a good draw then fire away and not look back.Ussually if I was still shooting,they'd back down by sixth street.If i was strong but mostly hidden on fifth street,sometimes I'd check to feign weakness then commence firing to pick up more chips.
Final table.Guts and luck all the way.It got down to six of us,3 huge stacks 3 babies(me again).Throughout the late game,I thought maybe I was being to tight.I'd get anted down for a while then pick the right spot to build back up again.The limits were so huge at this point that any hand I played had to hit or I was done.Fortunately the big stacks were willing to gamble to take me out.Once I got some chips,I started to punch a bit with any high door card but ducked and weaved to any resistance without bleeding off my chips.Then somehow it went blam blam blam,from four guys down to just me and I'm not sure how I did it.
Sorry,this got long and cluttered.How much of a clue do I have and how much was just dumb luck?Thanks.