Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Friend of mine claims to go from $100 to 10k in a month.. possible?

I was having a discussion with my friend not long ago and he has said that he has a problem with bankroll management so this is what he wants to work on. I kind of feel that his methods for building a bankroll also lead to his downfall. He recently lost the rest of his bankroll from having 40k from tilting away at the 2k NL tables. I try to tell him about playing within his bankroll and being able to greatly decrease his risk of ruin.

Well anyway the topic came up of him being able to go from $100 to 10,000 in a month and I found this to be extermely unrealistic unless you just ran insanely good for an entire month. He claims that he's gone broke plenty of times before and its no big deal and that he just takes $100 and rebuilds a bankroll. All of this is foreign to me and it sounds pretty unrealistic starting with $100.

He said his plan is to play 25 sit and goes a day starting at $10, do this until he gets to $500... he said this would take 5 days. Now to make $400 in 5 days playing 25 sit and goes a day this would be a 32% ROI... which I presume is possible (sounds reasonable, i havent played SNGs in a while though).. but this is not accounting for variance. He then says he takes his $500 and plays $20 SnGs until he gets up to 1.5k-2k and then plays $30 sit and goes until 3k. Then he says around this time he will have 2 weeks left and can triple this 3k and get to 10k within 2 weeks easily. I always thought that if you are tripling your bankroll in that kinda time then you are clearly not playing within your stakes. He does not get rakeback either so the vig on these SnGs I think would add up too. Do you guys think what he's trying to do is realistic? Also.. I think taking this method of building your bankroll does not teach a person bankroll management which is needed to survive long term without going broke. Isn't this method of his very susceptible to a bad run that can break him? It sounded like it to me and I didn't see it as a reasonable method of getting to 10k. Maybe i'm wrong.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Friend of mine claims to go from $100 to 10k in a month.. possible

The reason why he can take $100 to $10k in a month is the same reason why he can go from $40k to $0 even faster.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Friend of mine claims to go from $100 to 10k in a month.. possible?

Is it possible? Sure. Will he succeed every time? No.

Just like a money management system cannot turn a -EV wagering opportunity into a +EV opportunity, neither can unsound money management turn a +EV opportunity into a -EV one. It will just put you out of action from time to time.

Your friend uses a high risk/high reward approach. If he can indeed beat the 2K NL game, he will eventually "breakout" and never look back, even if he is short bankrolled when he gets there. (Of course, if he tilts and can't beat the 2K NL game, that is his real problem, not bankroll management).

A certain size bankroll gives you a fixed risk of ruin, even if it is divided into smaller bankrolls. For example, the chance of losing a 300 BB bankroll is exactly the same as losing a 50 BB bankroll six times in a row.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why he can take $100 to $10k in a month is the same reason why he can go from $40k to $0 even faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy like this too. He starts at 10/20 6 max with $200. If he goes on a roll he sometimes hits $10k pretty quick. Normally he's just broke. When he does hit $10k he loses it just as quick.

He does not want to be educated on br management. He just likes action.

Party has barred me from playing at his tables. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 PM

If he runs good and plays a lot he can do it. Sometimes he'll fail. What he does once he gets to 10k is what's important.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:51 PM

it's possible, like anything's possible in cards, but you have to know the guy's charachter-- is he prone to lying?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 AM

Las Vegas exists because of guys like this.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:18 AM

aceking finally someone who realizes what is important. Sadly, this article is written about me and can use some clarifying. This is not how I originally built my bankroll. I started off with 5 sngs and a few MTT's. I happen to win a 30 mtt for 2.5k. I then played 50 and 100 sngs. Later i moved to 200 nl and built to about 10k. When 1000 nl opened on party i was the first one on the tables and probably have been playing there the longest. I turned 10k into 50k + but at the time i was still 17. I was young and stupid and spent a bunch of money frivolously. I also started messing around with my money online b/c i was running so well i never imagined losing. Naturally i went broke within sevearl months and had to rebuild. I couldnt stand the thought of playing 25 NL wehn i was accustomed to 1000nl. I figured I'd take 100 and see what i can do in a short span of time. I wanted to build quickly. So i took 100 and played some sngs and built back up playing those until i got back to 10k. If i failed in the process, who cares what's 100? usually when i get to 2 or 3k i make it from there unitl i go broke. last time was unexpected as i broke up wiht my gf while playing and immediately went from grinding to 2000 omaha and lost my 10k in a few hours. But who cares i'll be back in a month and befroe you know it i'll be at 1000nl again. happened before and i can promise you by 2006 i'll be there regularly if not sooner. And this time im coming for good~!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:24 AM

Of course it's possible. Some guy at one of my tables a while back was chatting about how he went from $100 to his current >$10k in a few days. He had his whole rando acct balance at the table and I believe him. He was like a 35/12. It's not very hard to believe.

I found ~$250 in my Stars acct recently and ran it up to >$20k in like 10 days. Also not hard to believe.

GoT
Old 09-20-2005, 03:35 AM

my friend made 24k in 3 days this past week on FTP. While i've nver done anything that extrodinary i've won 24k in one week on 5/10 nl on party. It's a crazy game.