Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Why pot-limit?

Forgive me if this isn't exactly the right forum to post this, but I thought the best answers would come from here.

Can Omaha be played "No-limit"? Or does it wreck the game in some fashion?

The reason I'm asking is, I'm hosting a pseudo-World Series and want to include an Omaha event. However I'm afraid people won't understand/will get frustrated at trying to figure out "Pot-limit" betting.

Yeah...we're not that good at poker yet.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Why pot-limit?

Omaha is best played at pot-limit because limiting the betting encourages more action from drawing hands. This makes it more fun for everybody to play.

2 examples: Preflop AAxx is a big favorite heads-up against every hand, but a dog to a field of 3 players or more. Therefore, somebody with AAx would always make an overbet preflop if they could to discourage action.

Post-flop, if the board came with a 3-str8 like 567x, it is very easy for somebody to flop the nut-str8. However, there are a lot of redraws possible such as flush draws and sets. If Omaha hi were played no-limit, everyone who flopped the nut str8 would greatly overbet the pot to give incorrect odds for redraws.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:06 PM

This would be a good Q for the sticky FAQ.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM

I've been playing a little NL Omaha as of late. The game is.... interesting, to say the least. I don't know that I'll make it a regular part of my rotation, because I really just don't have anywhere near enough gamble in me to play NL Omaha with any regularity; I have enough trouble with PLO at times.

From the little I've seen, as important as position is in PLO, it's significantly more important in NL Omaha. This is especially true if you don't have much gamble in you. I was playing a 6-max table, which just further compounded my problems.

There was one player who I know was pushing me around, because he had position on me and I wasn't willing to lose my stack with fairly weak holdings. He would just call the flop and turn, then push all-in on the river when I checked. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to trap him.