Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Flop and Turn decision 99...

40 game ive been playin frequently lately...very loose agro LMPplayer opens...unknown player w/ 10k on the table 3 bets i call my sb w/ 99. 3 of us for 10sbs.

flop is J73rb. checked to the pfr who bets. i decide to call likely betting out or c'ring the turn depending on what it is. LMP calls.

turn is 8s which puts a 2 flush out there. i c'r the pf 3 bettor, LMP folds, he calls.

i check the river Qs.

-Barron
Old 11-17-2005, 01:59 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Flop and Turn decision 99...

What's the chance that you could unhook LMP on the flop? I realize he's not the one you really want out, but still if he leaves a fair amount of the time to a double bet, I think you have to take it.

I'm still trying to get my mind around the preflop call. I've done it before in a game with overs, but my implide odds were huge. I don't know I so want to say raise or fold, I want to raise to stick it to the isolator, but then again I get the bonus of crappy position with an unknown and a crazy player. uhg.

BTW I'm neutral to the flop, like the turn and river play.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 AM

I think the hand becomes easier to play if you 4-bet pre-flop. Given that you didn't, your line is ok, although most of the time I'd prefer just c/ring the flop. Were you folding to a river bet?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 AM

The river check seems hardly questionable given your flop and turn line. I hope you were planning on folding to a bet.

I think your flop line is read dependent according to how likely it is you'll get it heads up with the 3bettor. Is the OPFR likely to muck something like KQ or AT to a c/r? If so I think that's the street to checkraise. Then, if the button 3bets, you can reevaluate on the turn and decide to fold (which I'd probably do 70% of the time) if he follows through or call down. I'd fold to a turned overcard nearly 100% of the time if he 3bet the flop and followed the turn.

Now that I think about it though, the flop c/r line does make you vulnerable to a turn raise - despite this weakness though, I think it's still best to knock out the OPFR asap.

-DrG
Old 11-17-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The river check seems hardly questionable given your flop and turn line. I hope you were planning on folding to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he can, or should, fold here.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 AM

an unknown 3 bet and your calling with 99?? save money and fold preflop. On the flop, I really do not like your check and call strategy, it is absolutely vital, that you prevent the LMPplayer from pealing this flop with his possible two overcards to your 99's, so this is a must checkraise. Given the way you played it, I like your turn line, and I like your river check, as long as youre calling. I realize that if you check this river after you showed so much strength on the turn, and your opponent bets, that you are gonna feel retarded calling, but you will be getting 11-1, against an unknown, who may be making a desperate river bluff with AK or betting some weird hand like 55, you simply have to call. I know youre probably thinking that how can AK or a hand like 55 call your turn checkraise, so I admit that all you can beat on this river is a hand that makes no sense at all, but getting 11-1 against an unknown I think you should call.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 PM

I also like a cap PF as you face the original raiser with a decision and it is great to get this HU. conversely, just calling to see if he caps also give you info, but makes it more likely to be 3 or 4 way.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:31 PM

I would fold this preflop. Its not a good idea to play middle pair for the best hand after raise and reraise. And even if its best you have to fade 2 players. They dont play as well against 2 guys. You are not getitng a price top flop a set so just toss it.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop is J73rb. checked to the pfr who bets. i decide to call likely betting out or c'ring the turn depending on what it is. LMP calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowplaying is overrated, in this spot very much so. I'm sure S&M will be in agreement with me here too.

-Ange
http://www.fekali.com
Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 PM

Tough spot on the river if he bets... most likely a value bet but I end up paying that off way too much because of the "unknown" nature. You play g00t though so I assume you were check-folding the river, yes/no?