Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: WSOP has become a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
What's most depressing to me is how big of douchebags these guys all are. Friedman, Stillman, Paskin, all huge tools. I literally laughed my ass off when Friedman said "You wish you had my talent at my age." Apparently, this guy is awesome yet doesn't even know a king high flush running into an ace high flush is just an unfortunate part of the game. I have a feeling we won't see much more of this clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one was Paskin again?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Paskin was the british guy who yelled a lot and angered his table with rude behavior. I spent some time with him after day 1 and I really liked the guy. He explained that he was purposely trying to annoy people to gain action on his good hands.

Indy
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Which one was Paskin again?

[/ QUOTE ]

British dude, living in Sweden, England Football jersey, tape on his mouth, screaming, cursing, 20 minute penalty, invoked Lenny Bruce.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM

Another quality post usurping the goodness monopoly of sthief09. You go girl.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After watching yesterdays episode and some of the smaller events won by fish, to me the wsop has become a joke. This is no longer a tournament about skill but about who can make the worst call and be the luckiest.

Some of calls they have been showing are right down sickening. The fact that these players have gone this far in a tournament just goes to show that it no longer is about skill its all about luck. Very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ivey winning the blinds and antes is boring.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was all that talking the one guy with TT was doing as well. Bad poker eitquette isn't it? To discuss a hand like that when someone else is still yet to act?

I thought that hand was a litte testament to how good Matusow is though. Once the hand ended, Matusow said "Worst hand goes into the muck. You're not gonna pull that crap with me when I'm in the hand, buddy." Or something to that effect. He had the guy pegged, but the others were clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how I feel about Black talking during the hand. I'm not sure it's bad etiquette when (1) he was still in the hand himself and (2) he didn't give any information out about his hand. If he had said something like "I'm folding a big pocket pair," then yes it would be bad. If he wasn't in the hand, and was talking about what he had folded (for example), it would certainly be bad.

But I think it's OK to probe one of your opponents for a reaction, without giving out information about your hand, if you're still in the hand.

The purpose of the rule is to keep people who are not or will not be involved in a hand from influencing the outcome and I'm not sure I understand how Black's comments that he was "laying down the best hand" would infuence what's his name's decision to play top pair.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 PM

John Juanda, who finished around 50th, said on the cardplayer.com webcast of the final table that even late in the tournament there were players in the big blind folding their hands when they could have checked and seen the flop for free.
ESPN shows dramatic hands, which usually involve, a) a lot of money, b) a great decision, c) a stupid decision, d) "colorful" reactions during or after the hand, or e) some combination of a through d.
For whatever reason, this year has been remarkable for stupid decisions. (Just wait for the final table telecast.) I wonder if this is because as the stakes grow, people start feeling the heat.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:29 PM

Ditto. What flop was that guy looking for? If that wasn't it, why was he in the hand in the first place?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:52 PM

I wonder what will happen when everyone realizes the obvious.NL hold em is the most luck based form of poker,period.
If you want a true test of skill,you must bring other games into the mix.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There is a place in tournaments for calling with 86s in position. This is something books don't teach you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm sure I have books that teach me that. Written by some guy who played in a few tournaments and might have had some success.