Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: AQ 5/10 6max hand

I think so too.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:46 PM

I think if I had A9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here, I'd raise the turn stop'n go for sure. And maybe fire again on the river depending on what card hits and how fast he called.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 AM

Interesting thread. I'm getting back into NL cash games after playing sit and goes for a while. At first I got killed defending blinds with too many marginal hands.

I would give some due consideration to folding preflop. Partly because I am not confident in playing AQ OOP to a UTG raiser.

I think this hand is a great example of the problems that can come. The BB got a pretty good flop and still had a very difficult time playing the hand.

If I did play this hand PF, I would probably check-call to the river. If the board got too scary I would fold.

Paul
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 AM

anybody want to comment on a possible preflop reraise line?

I figure 2/3 of the time, you don't flop the Q or A and you have to check fold to UTG raiser's continuation bet. the times you flop the A or Q, you are still scared to play if you just called preflop.

whereas if you reraise, there is a significant amount of time you take it down right there especially if you haven't been preflop reraising very much and UTG raiser's preflop raise range is wide. if UTG happens to have say KK, I think the default play at this level is to not 3 bet and if you flop the Q, its very hard for KK to call your flop bet, flopping the A goes without saying.

I just feel that smoothcalling preflop basically only gain you any money if you flop a pair and villain does not move you off of it, which out of position, is hard to do.

Therefore, I think if you know villain's UTG raise range is wide, you should either reraise or fold preflop with AQ.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:43 AM

u post good hands. thank you.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't like re-raising here unless you know the preflop raiser is a maniac and you are willing to get it all in either preflop or with just TPTK postflop. Against a sane player, you just have to realise that he is going to be much more likely to win the pot due to his position than you are and therefore you don't want to build the pot preflop. I like to just call and then try to win a small pot if I flop TPTK and give up fairly easily with ace high as a SOP. Again, if against an especially aggro opponent, it all changes.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No read on UTG.

UTG raises to 35, folded to you in the bb with AQ

You call.

Flop is QT2, two . You check, he bets 70, and you call.

Turn is the 4o. Pot is 213. You lead for 125. He calls.

Pot is about 470 now. River 9o which is kind of scary bc it could have made the straight.

What's your play.

If you check, how much can you call?

Oh effective stacks 1k

Edited by Prevaricator (09/25/05 08:57 PM) [/qoute]

[ QUOTE ]
OKAY so here's what REALLY happened.

I was the villain in this hand, and the "hero" was INcinerate, pretty decent skilled TAG player. He doesn't have a read on me.

I had A9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and bet 340 on the river trying to sell a K high straight. He thought for 15 secs and then called at the end, and I felt like I had made a mistake. I have chatted with some people about this and they have suggested I raise the turn on a bluff, or just give up on the river, but I thought I could make him fold a Q (which is what I read him for). Too bad. Maybe 340 wasn't enough to bet, but some of you guys are saying call potsized river bets. I dont know what's with that, I don't think its good vs unknown (although I would rarely bet the pot on the river vs an opponent like this, although he does not know that). On the other hand, VanVeen, who's play I respect, says check fold, hmm. It's hard to say. Thanks for all of your comments. I do think INcinerate played the hand well though, and I arguably misplayed the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So HE had the AQo, right? I think you're contadicting yourself here, but I'm not sure. How is it that him calling $340 on the river is playing it well but us suggesting that you can call up to a pot-sized bet is not playing it well? I am so confused...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 PM

well he made the read. Who knows what he would have done had i bet the pot though. there is a lot of uncertainty though thats my point.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody want to comment on a possible preflop reraise line?

I figure 2/3 of the time, you don't flop the Q or A and you have to check fold to UTG raiser's continuation bet. the times you flop the A or Q, you are still scared to play if you just called preflop.

whereas if you reraise, there is a significant amount of time you take it down right there especially if you haven't been preflop reraising very much and UTG raiser's preflop raise range is wide. if UTG happens to have say KK, I think the default play at this level is to not 3 bet and if you flop the Q, its very hard for KK to call your flop bet, flopping the A goes without saying.

I just feel that smoothcalling preflop basically only gain you any money if you flop a pair and villain does not move you off of it, which out of position, is hard to do.

Therefore, I think if you know villain's UTG raise range is wide, you should either reraise or fold preflop with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like calling preflop and leading some flops, and check/calling some flops where it is likely that he didn't hit the flop either.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well he made the read. Who knows what he would have done had i bet the pot though. there is a lot of uncertainty though thats my point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or what if you overbet the pot? The people who will call up to pot-sized, don't you think overbetting river after you check looks a lot like a steal? If he had a real hand, wouldn't he value bet it? After all, your river checks seems weak. Why would he expect you to call an overbet? I just think checking here puts you into a potentially expensive guessing situation. If you have a good read on the opponent and are confident that you will guess correctly often enough to make it profitable, go for it. But against an unknown, seems like blocking bet is the safe way to go...