Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Default In sight of HU S&G Help

I seem to really fall apart in HU play lately in my Turbo S&G's.. it takes away from the feeling of profit because i've left a lot of money "on the table". It's like I lost $45 or whatever the difference is between 1st and 2nd instead of being happy with + X buy-ins.

Here's the common scenario I'm facing:

Stars Turbo, 1500 chips to start

about even stacks or within range of each other going HU(few blind steals apart), $13,500 in play and I'll usually be in the range of 5-8K going heads up, so anybody's game.

Blinds at this point are in the 300-600 or 400-800 range.

I know with <10BB I should be pushing and playing pretty aggressive, but the problem is my opponent is also thinking the same thing and will also call with marginal holdings due to the blind structure.. so is it better to fold on the button and wait for something decent before going all-in or try to steal from the button when your FE is iffy? I'm usually caught between the two, because I really don't want to give my opponent over 1200 in blinds, which is like 10% of the chips in play.. I also don't want to wait for a good hand because that could take a while, but stealing with trash or marginal hands hasn't been working either.

So, when the blinds are high and the stacks are about the same, are you open pushing anything from the button or will you fold and wait for something better?

P.S. Of course I could always complete, but that doesn't seem right with such low chip stacks.