Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: More money to be made in MTT than SNG\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just from the two im up $4k (nearly) and risked $28.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really? i know someone that from just one (just one!) tournament is up $135k and only risked $215! man what a profit!!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really? i know someone that from just one (just one!) tournament is up $7.5 million and only risked $10k! man what a profit!!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 PM

MTTs control your life and your schedule, SNGs don't. I love MTT's but they are simply an impractical way to play poker if you focus on them entirely. That's my opinion at least.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In MTTs, I often see a table that seems to be 80%+ superlag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but my problem is 20% of the superlags are really good players, and I cannot tell them apart from the superlag donks (until they have my chips, anyway).
Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to play more MTTs, but I just don't have the time.

There are now some multi-table SNGs being offered on pokerroom.com (where I play cuz its Mac compatible) - but the payouts are more concentrated. A 2 table SNG pays the top 4, a 3 table SNG pays the top 5 - so if you finish ITM, you get a pretty good payout, but its harder to finish ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the 2, 3, and 5 table SNGs at PS. In my (limited) experience, the higher payouts more than make up for the less frequent ITM finishes.

And, for those who want a taste of MTT play without the potential for 6-8 hours of play, you might want to try the 20 table "SNG" at PS. From what I've seen, they generally take four hours.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:30 PM

There arent many pure (online) MTT pros out there.In fact, I would estimate the number of players making over 25K a year playing online poker, MTT only players would rank below SNGs, NLHE ring, and Limit Ring (in to particular order).

This is mostly due to the variance, and limitted number of large events. A very good MTT player could easily lose money for months and months. That isnt as true in the other games.
For the vast majority of players, I think SNGs are more profitable if you at least 4-table. There are very few players that could handle being a MTT only pro. I really cant imagine the stress that would cause. Take you worst SNG beat, and multiply it by 100. God bless you Degen, best of luck
Old 12-30-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to be successful at STT's and MTT's and still not be a successful ring game player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you're less likely to be successful at MTT's without being at least a decent ring game player, IMO.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:45 PM

I am not a pro, not even close.

My strategy these days is to play both. I try to get in about 20-30 SNGs a day at various times in my home office between putting in hours as a part-time solo attorney. In the evening (5pm and beyond) I then play an MTT or two (or sometimes three) while hanging in the family room with my family (not great for focus but it is comfortable to play from my recliner by the fireplace in front of the big screen).

I have been doing this for about a month or so off and on and have hit on a $4k 2nd place in a $33 MTT and have made the money a bunch of times. I'm about even at the SNGs, unfortunately, but have been studying hand histories and it mostly seems to be variance.

At any rate, I hope to be able to keep this up. I am enjoying it so far and I believe it to have serious profit potential.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 PM

By the way, the point I was trying to make was that for me mixing between MTT and SNG keeps things fresh and challenging. I do not think I could grind out 50-100 SNGs a day like some do, and I do not think I could handle the variance (at this point, at least) and schedule demand that would go with doing all MTTs, just like I could not handle 12+ hours a day in a huge law firm 6 days a week (that sucked!).

I don't see any problem with mixing up SNGs and MTTs unless you are depending on it for month to month income or don't feel capable of shifting gears in the manner required or don't have time to put into the study required to do both successfully.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM

I believe that there might be more money making potential for a casual player at MTT's than SnG's. One big cash in a MTT is all you need to shoot your ROI into the 1000's.

Placing high in a few MTT's will definately have a higher payday if you can only play a few SnG's a week.

If you can 8 table SnG's and pump out 500 games a week, I believe that you'll make more $/hour than dealing with MTT's.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM

I have read the posts and I have concluded that,

MTT's have a mich higher varience than SNG's not to mention scheduling conflicts. Also they are very time consuming. I have decided to mix it up and stick with mostly SnG's and throw in the occasional MTT. You guys think this is a wise choice?