Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Top-pair, good kickeer meets some resistance, now what?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd cap it. I think capping it now will make your later decisions a lot easier and should help force out overcards or gutshots that you want out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think calling down would be easier. you're setting yourself up for a check/raise on the turn by capping here.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i cap and then plan to c/r on the more expensive turn if i feel my edge has improved via a rag. by then it will likely be a wa/wb(if not already) situation and you can assess how the turn card affects your holding and go from there. this is based on your reads being uber accurate(i.e. you know what type of hands these goofs have been raising with and thus found it with position and the pot to be profitable to call in this situation; people who criticize the play of the Q10o need to realize you are playing this due to the pot size, implied odds, and weak opponents. poster assesses it to be +EV in the given game texture and if his reads are accurate, i agree).
Old 06-18-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cap and then plan to c/r on the more expensive turn if i feel my edge has improved via a rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero can't c/r the turn, he's the button.

I think QT is a fine hand to play against someone who raises half their hands. I think capping the flop is okay, but calling is okay too. If these guys are real LAGgy, the c/r business isn't too meaningful. But then again, even LAGs get hands sometimes, so I think you just need to decide how many bets you want to put in on each street. I generally like 3, but sometimes will cap all the way depending on the usual stuff (draws, board texture, etc.), as well as how much money he has left (I find that they tend to get even more aggressive as they get below half-stacked).
Old 06-18-2005, 11:33 PM

Call me weak-tight, but I'm folding this nonsense preflop.

On the flop, you have basically been checkraised by not one, but two people. If you think you can get it heads up with uber-LAG, then cap. If not, fold.

The first CR bothers me more than the uber-LAG.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:56 PM

I folded. LAGs check the turn. The river is bet and called. The hand is won by a pair of fours.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:38 PM

Against these kind of LAGs you can CAP the flop and call down vs late street aggression. I find that a lot of LAGs get silly on the flop like it means nothing with hands like middle pair top kicker or a pocket under pair.

This hand I had today immediately came to mind here. Villan had been rerasing any time he was raised. He'd cap flops with pocket 6's with 3 overcards. Stats were like 38/19/3.

I admit my preflop call was a bit loose.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

I should have capped here, but I was seeing KK monsters (I know that's bad).

River: (17.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.75 BB

Results:
Hero has K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (full house, kings full of nines).
Button has T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 25.75 BB.