Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Deffending Big Blind

In a relatively passive and very loose O8 game with 7 people already in, should I defend the BB with 9987?

Jim
Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Deffending Big Blind

I believe in Hi-lo poker for advanced players, Zee labels a that hand as one of the worst possible hands in hi-lo split. I'm going to say no. It sure does look pretty, though.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Most of the time I don't defend but with 7 people already in I say defend as long as you play well enough post flop to get away from it when things turn ugly.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Defending Big Blind

I would defend my blind knowing that no matter what is flopped someone is going to bet and if the flop hits my hand the right way (either with a 9 or a straight), I am going to check raise the field.

If the flop doesn't hit me just right...I'm throwing it away fast.

Dave
Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 PM

Play in the blinds is not something I understand very well. I certainly don't believe in playing pure junk hands, but these nice looking half-pot hands are difficult to handle. Is this analagous to calling in the BB with T3s in holdem with 4 or more opponents.

Normally I just fold this kind of hand, and unless I find some compelling reason to change my mind, I will continue to do so.

I am sure a simulation would tell me that I have something like 8-10% pot equity, which would justify a call, but I am very uncertain that such results are useful. Such hands have poor implied odds (or is that reverse implied odds). If I only had enough chips to call the raise, calling would be a no-brainer, but somehow I don't think the remaining action will be kind to me.

Jim

However, this hand is going to haunt me for awhile. After a flop of Q98 with 2 clubs, I was glad it was in the muck, but after the turn Q (checked around) and river 9, I was not at all pleased. Someone had QQ and so I lost out on $5K for the bad beat.

That's not a reason to play a hand, but it is a reason to be very sure just when it is correct to play some "trash" hands.

Jim