Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Mempho, does this suggest a probabilistic model?

[ QUOTE ]
You realize that God does exist. You call upon Christ and he lifts you out of hell. You are extremely thankful for his eternal mercy. This is not a "balancing out." It simply extends the opportunity for salvation beyond the grave. You could get out of hell through God's grace at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding me, right?

Any biblical description of hell describes it as an eternal separation from God. Once you go, there's no turning back. I could go digging through the good book and find passages to support this, but since I assume you know what I'm talking about, and since it's late and I'm tired, I'm not going to right now.

This completely trivializes life on Earth, invalidates Pascal's wager, and goes against the Bible.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You realize that God does exist. You call upon Christ and he lifts you out of hell. You are extremely thankful for his eternal mercy. This is not a "balancing out." It simply extends the opportunity for salvation beyond the grave. You could get out of hell through God's grace at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any biblical description of hell describes it as an eternal separation from God. Once you go, there's no turning back. I could go digging through the good book and find passages to support this, but since I assume you know what I'm talking about, and since it's late and I'm tired, I'm not going to right now.

This completely trivializes life on Earth, invalidates Pascal's wager, and goes against the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]There are certain accounts of Christ, that during the three days before his resurection, christ was in hell saving gods choosen people as well as others who might have listened. The question of if god would do that again, is one that can be answered only by speculation.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Dear Christians: Your child doesn\'t believe in Jesus. Now what?

Go Old Testament on him.

Bring out the stones.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There are certain accounts of Christ, that during the three days before his resurection, christ was in hell saving gods choosen people as well as others who might have listened. The question of if god would do that again, is one that can be answered only by speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly it is speculative. I think another version of this can be found in the link that I posted under the topic regarding a fair God...it should still be on the first three pages.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are certain accounts of Christ, that during the three days before his resurection, christ was in hell saving gods choosen people as well as others who might have listened. The question of if god would do that again, is one that can be answered only by speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are accounts that Paul Bunyan and the boogeyman served as his bodyguards while he was down there.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are certain accounts of Christ, that during the three days before his resurection, christ was in hell saving gods choosen people as well as others who might have listened. The question of if god would do that again, is one that can be answered only by speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly it is speculative. I think another version of this can be found in the link that I posted under the topic regarding a fair God...it should still be on the first three pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure most Christian denominations belive that nobody is sent to hell until Judgement Day, after Jesus returns, the dead are raised, and yada yada yada.