Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 PM

Default KJo blind defense vs LAG

Villain is 65/30/2.5 over 85 hands. His ASB is 50% but I think that could be a sample size issue so I used a PFR of 30 to establish a range. No read but I will assume he bets if checked to just about always. In this situation I figured he would probably bet the whole way after he capped.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

It feels like I need to raise somewhere in this hand but how do I handle a 3 bet if I c/r the turn, or should c/r the river and call a 3-bet?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: KJo blind defense vs LAG

I could find a raise for a Q or K (if you didn't have a K) on the river, but not an A. The A hits so many steal hands that I think calling down is fine.

Edit: changed my mind about raising. You don't want to stop the LAG from bluffing if you are ahead, so don't raise until the river. Then if you are 3-bet decide how often he'd do this on a bluff and go from there.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It feels like I need to raise somewhere in this hand....

[/ QUOTE ]
It only feels that way.

As HUSHers, we're trained to be over-aggressive regularly and injected with a testosterone needle every time we read a thread.

IMO you played the hand just fine against a guy like that.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 AM

standard
Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 AM

ya, this is played well
Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It feels like I need to raise somewhere in this hand....

[/ QUOTE ]
It only feels that way.

As HUSHers, we're trained to be over-aggressive regularly and injected with a testosterone needle every time we read a thread.

IMO you played the hand just fine against a guy like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So these are the hands that get us closer to 40% WtSD?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So these are the hands that get us closer to 40% WtSD?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on your starting point and your destination. If your WtSD is 39.8 right now, this hand should do it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Personally, my WtSD is around 33-34 and I'm pretty happy with it. Also, I average 5.5 players per hand, so our stats may differ if you regularly play shorter.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:49 AM

Yup...raising somewhere sure does feel like something to consider against an opponent like this.

I would possibly find a place to raise in this hand because I have that chip-spewing, testosterone disease OurHouse referred to.
As others pointed out in this thread, I would likely be wrong to spew chips like that.

If you really are ahead then you are just going to help get him out of the hand faster and miss the bets he would have made. You're only giving him possible Q outs which he's not going to be able to have much confidence in anyway.

If you're behind then just try to get to the finish as cheaply as possible.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 AM

I am around 34/52 for SD stats after 4k. There is a session in there skewing my W$@SD but I would like to feel like I am not missing out on too much value by approaching 37ish/50-51.

I know I am reluctant to call down without decent to good hands. I am just trying to get a feel for how to play the millions of pots where I have my opposition drawing to 5 or less outs/I am crushed.

At the time this hand was played I felt absolutely sick of getting 3-bet anywhere since his aggro stats were around 2 for each street. It seems he would 3-bet liberally all over the place, hence the call down.

Edit: All this is currently quite meaningless due to sample size. I'm really just learning to play solid 6 max and to deal with the variance. But I made some terrible call downs last night that caused my SD stats to get a little worse. Nothing to worry about though. I'll start thinking more about these stats as I approach 20k.