Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 05:35 PM

Default B&M compared to Online, psychology

When I play online I'm covinced I'm better than anyone at the table, regardless if I've seen them win many times, or I know they're a multi tabler like myself. I have the confidence to play my game and grind out my hourly rate.
When I sit down at the local B&M suddenly everyone's a pro in my mind and I'm completely outmatched and start to second guess my strategy and try and emulate theirs (probably a bad idea), does anyone else have the same affliction?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: B&M compared to Online, psychology

Let me guess, you have played 100,000 hours on-line and less than 200 hours live? It is just a matter of getting used to your surroundings.

I used to be known as Mr Shaky Hands at B&Ms because I was just excited to be there. It wasn't an indication that I had a good hand, just true nervous excitement (worked well when I wanted to bluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). It took a while, but I have it under total control.

Just try to think about your game and not their game. Since you haven't mentioned your experience level, I'll throw this out as well, you may be giving off obvious tells that tip off your strong/weak hands. If you haven't read Caro's Book of Tales that is the place to start.

Overall, I have found live play to be more profitable (at similar levels) than online. Good luck....
Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 PM

at some places, 1/2 party = 10/20 live
Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 AM

When you can, move to a seat that cuts off as much of your view of the table as you can, that will help some.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM

just pay very close attention to the action for about a 1/2 hour, observe what they are raising and calling raises with, and so on. i'm pretty sure you'll recognize, fast, that those guys are definitely NOT pros. just try not to laugh out loud.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at some places, 1/2 party = 10/20 live

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. I usually play $100 NL online and $500NL live, which many times plays more like $25NL [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 11:50 AM

I do much better at B&M tournaments than at online tournaments,probably because B&M players are paying more attention and take large bets more seriously. It is nothing for online players to go all-in on a coin flip early in a tourney,where B&M players usually don't do this.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:46 PM

I think a large difference has to do with the visuals of the game. When playing online, with all 8 players within a 1 foot- by 1 foot area in front of you, it's easier to watch and gain tells. When you're in a B&M situation, they are real people, you must pay more attention to know whats going on. You can't tell whats going on with a single glance. I got the shakes going into a B&M the first few times, and I still get them sometimes at my weekly tourney (because I'm used to online tourneys) but with experience you will become comfortable.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 PM

I find sometimes I can't focus as well on the action across the table from me. And there's also the problem of being in the 1 or 10 seat.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM

I have the exact opposite problem -- I'm much more afraid of online than B&M.

I've played 3-6 at the B&M successfully, but I can't seem to make the leap to play online, even at .50/1 or something. I have had money in an account at Empire for almost a year, but I can't seem to psych myself up to just play. It's not like I'm afraid of losing the money (hey, it happens -- I've had terrible sessions at the B&M), but somehow the idea of playing online is scary to me: I feel like everyone else at the table will be better than me.

Just food for thought: interesting how what is hard for some is so easy for another!