Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 8 vs 9
Wolf 49 52.13%
Baboon 45 47.87%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Perfect Poker Bots

Seeing how it seems limit poker is a very mathematical game. I beleive it relies mainly on 3 virtues.
Patience
Math Skill
And the ability to rate your opponents.

All 3 of these skills a computer would be the master at. Using a system like poker tracker has to rate the opponents and adjust play accordingly.
So, My question is, does anyone else beleive it would be possible to make a computer bot that can play limit hold 'em as good if not better then any real life player?

PS. I may start trying to program something like that soon, if you interested in helping PM me.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Perfect Poker Bots

I dont think u could make a "Perfect" bot better than any player.
I don't doubt it would be possible to make a program like this using player info and odds for limit poker and that it could win money ( just not better than any player "Perfect").

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Agree totally, in a heads up at the moment the perfect player would win every time.

In a ring game though, I reckon a good bot could make a lot more money especially in low limits, basically capitalising on players tendency to misplay hands.

Only concern is that for a bot to get a good read on a player he would need quite a lot of hands against him, and sitting on a ring game, losing players don't stick around long. Tie it in with pokertracker stats, and you may have a winner, especially if you can tie it in along with table selection and buddy lists.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 AM

along those same lines I believe you can teach a chimp to play NL just as well as most internet players. They already play like a bunch of monkeys, lol
Old 07-08-2005, 11:37 AM

I believe winning bots are possible (perhaps even reality) but a perfect bot? No.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:55 PM

i think a bot could be made that would at an incredible rate. however, it can never be perfect since it would be gathering information and basing its decisions on imperfect players that are inconsistent.

What if it takes 300 hands from a player that was on tilt that day and then basis its decisions on those 300 hands that arent reprensentitive of that players usual play?

So the answer is definitely not.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 AM

Ive been thinking about a decent ammount recently. They say poker is about making decisions with imperfect odds. I think what makes someone a good player is they play with more "perfect" odds.

hypothetical example. You know from poker tracker that when someone raises preflop 6x the big blind that
25% they have kk
25% they have aa
30% they have aks
20% they have two suited connectors below q

you have qq

the bot would figure out the implied odds for this situation based on previous plays from opponent and determine if calling would +EV. and would probable depend on how far the opponent will go against a set of q's but if you knew the percentages for everything to occur this could be an exact calculation. You would need a HUGE sample set for a decent opponent however and the opponents sample would have to be in sync with his current playing.

The difficult part to program in my opinion would be two things

1. Making moves...this could be done based on opponents previous loses to say check raises vs just betting out but would be very difficult to program to the level of intelligence of a good player.

2. THE BIG PROBLEM....this might not matter in lower limit games but the bot has to account for the opponents perception of it. Has it been playing tight recently, loose? Is the opponent paying attention to this?

I could see using random numbers to vary play slightly but it would be VERY difficult to make a bot unpredictable enough to win money against decent opponents.

Could you just make 100 of them and set them loose at $25 tables? Maybe.....
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 PM

I think the bot would get killed once you play out of SSH type games.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Not without a significant advance in computer power. The search space is too large.

-John
Old 07-10-2005, 02:30 PM

That being said, a very good bot could be made, and there is substantial profit motive to want to do it.

-John