Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 11:10 PM

Default What do you do with an unimproved AK?

I'm sure this subject has been debated before but I'd like to bring it up again just to see if I'm on the same page as those wiser and more experienced than me. Although different circumstances call for different measures this if my general default play with an unimproved AK. Please feel free to comment:

Of course I always raise and 3 bet preflop and will generally cap for value if I have two or more callers. If I whiff the flop and am against two or less players I autobet unless one of them was a pre-flop 3 better in which case I'll check and call with proper pot odds.

If two players call my flop bet then I'll check the turn unimproved. If only one player calls my flop bet and there's an apparent flush or straight draw on the board I'll bet the turn and check the river, otherwise if it's a rag flop then I'll check the turn.

If I'm against three of more players I usually check the flop unimproved.

Sound reasonable?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: What do you do with an unimproved AK?

It depends.

- position
- relative position vs. preflop action
- pot size
- opponent tendencies
- whether I have a backdoor flush
- the likelihood TPTK will be good enough
- reverse domination + reads on whether I can buy those outs back
- other draws (broadway, wheel, top boat via trips on the board, etc.)
- table image & bluff equity
Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 AM

In nearly every case, I treat AK exactly like AA until the river. That is, I'm betting until someone else shows aggression. Then I re-evaluate depending on position, size of pot, the board, and my read on that opponent.

The only times I will check the flop with AK unimproved is if I'm planning to c/r a habitual bluffer, or sometimes if I'm closing the action against a large field; even then, I'll usually bet it. While AK is technically still a drawing hand at that point, it is a strong one in that you will usually win if you hit your draw.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:12 AM

Here is what I do if AK misses completly:

In position: Bet/Raise (unless its two bets to me on a terrible board, then I muck), take the free turn card on the turn (or fold to a bet), and value bet the river or just call if bet to (unless its a four flush/four straight where can't be ahead or its an extremly passive player)

Out of position: Bet/Call reraise flop, Check/Fold unimproved on turn.

A few other variables:

Players you are against. If you've noticed a player will call down with any ace(or even king high) against you, you can bet it even out of position. Once in a while I will check raise a LAGish player on the turn with AK unimproved or just raise him if you are in position.

Just my .02
Old 01-19-2005, 03:21 AM

An important thing to remember is that your 'draw' here is usually only to 1 pair, not a strong hand in a multiway pot. You may be reverse dominated and there is almost always a re-draw even if you pair on the turn.

Holding a missed AK isn't unlike trying to play a middle pair when an overcard or 2 flops... If out of position, you are flying blind.

Vs 1 other, even if you don't pair, you are still ahead after the flop about 1/2 the time.

Vs 3 others, I would only continue with very favorable flops. Here you want an uncoordinated board like 9 9 2 or a monotone board in your suit (3 clubs and you have A or K of clubs).

Vs 4 others, check/fold if a lot of action on flop or take 1 card off if you are last to act for 1 small bet.

Vs 2? still trying to figure that out