Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Sklansky Wins WPT Event!

Congrats David!

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...php?a_id=14430
Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Sklansky Wins WPT Event!

This is bad news for us. Now the WPT watching fish will find out about Sklansky. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

errrr.... I mean congrats David!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is bad news for us. Now the WPT watching fish will find out about Sklansky. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Best thing that could've happened for all of us would be for Phil to win, and subsequently come out with another book. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Sklansky post-game interview: "thanks Shana, I would like to take this opportunity NOT to thank god. Also, this proves that poker is all math. I would also like to say thank you to DonkeyKong on twoplustwo.com for all his help with helping to understand the game. You know Shana, you are hot."....
Old 12-22-2004, 12:44 PM

I bet is wasn't even close!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet is wasn't even close!

[/ QUOTE ]

cowboyzfan will let others elaborate.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 PM

Bocked from this site at work, would someone please copy the article here?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:27 PM

I recently returned from a trip to Foxwoods, where WPT Enterprises filmed three events for television. The first was the final table of the World Poker Finals (a WPT event), another was the inaugural event on the Professional Poker Tour (PPT), and the third was a WPT special called “Poker By the Book,” in which six top authors competed to see “who’s the best poker player.”

All three of these events were historic in their own way. Hats off to Director of Poker Operations Kathy Raymond and Tournament Director Mike Ward for “making it happen” at Foxwoods. Their WPT event was the largest in the history of the World Poker Tour — 674 players. Tuan Le captured the title and $1,549,588. Nice going, Tuan.

The PPT event was significant because it was the first time that players (138 “all-stars”) participated in a substantial freeroll tournament ($500,000) in which they didn’t have to put up an entry fee to play. (There are five PPT events scheduled in season one, each with $500,000 in prize money.) Amazingly, the two guys who battled it out for the PPT title were at the first-ever final table of the WPT: John Juanda and Chris Bigler. John was the runner-up in that event, but took home the gold in the first-ever PPT tournament. Congratulations to the most consistent player in poker today, John Juanda.

The “Poker By the Book” special was indeed special, in that it was what many would consider the toughest lineup ever for a WPT event. The players were Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, T.J. Cloutier, David Sklansky, Mike Caro, and myself. In case you’re wondering why I was invited to play, I just finished writing a book for the WPT called Shuffle Up and Deal. (It’ll be in bookstores in March.) I’m a little prejudiced, but I think it’s an excellent book that you will enjoy.

The TV show will air at about the time Shuffle Up and Deal comes out, so it was in the WPT’s best interest to put me on the show. This might help to explain why I was selected over established authors such as Tom McEvoy, Lou Krieger, Bob Ciaffone, Mason Malmuth, Ray Zee, and so on. Certainly, it was likely that whoever won this table could expect a boom in his book sales. Sadly, I didn’t win. (In fact, you’d better get to the tube on time when this show airs if you want to see me at the table.)

I’ve always considered myself a poker player first and commentator second. I may have to rethink that. But, hey, I do have credentials. I’m one of the top in-the-money finishers at the World Series of Poker (with about 40), and I’ve won four no-limit hold’em championship events in which the buy-in was $5,000 or more. (Not many players in the world can say that.) I was looking forward to the challenge of playing against these poker legends.

I was glad to get out of the booth and have my shot on the green felt. I did recognize that in terms of actually “playing,” I might be a little rusty. It turns out that I should have brought an oil can.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to play in a Super Bowl but be down 14 points in the middle of the first quarter, or walk the high wire without one of those long poles, or discover at a banquet that you’ve put on a brown pair of shoes with your tuxedo? Well, that was me in the “Poker By the Book” tournament. I didn’t win one ante. In poker, when you combine a lack of stellar play with bad luck, it makes for a bad day.

In my next column, I’ll put you in my seat to see what you would have done in certain situations. You might not have needed the oil can. In the meantime, congratulations to David Sklansky, who played superbly and won the “Poker By the Book” tournament.

Well, another year has passed, but it’s not one to be forgotten in the poker world. We have witnessed more players come into the game, larger tournaments, expanding poker rooms, increased TV and media exposure, and an incredible boom in online poker. It’s been by far the best year ever in terms of growth and acceptance for the industry.

And the good news is, it’s just going to get better. Happy New Year!

Take care.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:34 PM

Thanks mm,

Who is the writer?

So it was not a real WPT event with a full field. Is David going to compete against the winners of the American Choppers/Trading Spaces, Ladies Night, and Hollywood Home Games next?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:36 PM

Obviously I wrote it. I hope you all enjoy my book!

Ok, Sexton wrote it. My bad.