Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Giving up the job to play pro?

Doesn't matter. Even an engineering undergrad has it easy. You drink, [censored], and hang out. Where else can you find such a good time.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Im in my final year of Finance... and my original major was Mathematics. I ended up chosing Finance for personal reasons financially, and the amount of classes offered at the time at my school. I find Finance very enticing, and challenging, while not over the top in difficulty. Additionally, Finance has a great job outlook, as well as your increased knowledge on how to plan for the future, money management, investments, as well as general overall views of the language of business(Accounting technically, but we all know business's primary goal is $$$). Economics would also be a great choice, either one would suit what you are describing.

Just my .02.

Also Great choice on college. Sure you may make it as a pro poker player, but personally, i'd rather be a part time pro as well as successful in a career.. that way you just make that much extra =) Regardless, it is the right decision. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter. Even an engineering undergrad has it easy. You drink, [censored], and hang out. Where else can you find such a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may all be a good time but engineering is hard workd compared to many other courses. Avoid it unless you love engineering or want to be an engineer.

chez
Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 AM

I'm just trying to give a steryotypically hard major. If you cut out all of the study breaks and screwing around I can't think of a major where you could possibly spend more then 8 hours a day working, assuming your not taking an overload of credits and your maintaining a 3-3.5 GPA.

The point is the kid should go to college. It's a blast. And there will be tons of free time to play poker.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is the kid should go to college. It's a blast. And there will be tons of free time to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
So true. I couldn't agree more.

[ QUOTE ]
8 hours a day working

[/ QUOTE ]

Gasp. I think he should be looking at something closer to 8 hours a week.

chez
Old 09-07-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving up the job to play pro?

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the more helpful things Phil Hellmuth said was that he'd let his kids play poker, but not as a career.
Very few people truly can make enough money playing poker that it would justify not getting a degree of some sorts. Like when someone tries to justify their decision to go pro because they made 40K in a year. That's not nearly as much money as you'd make in a normal job with a Bachelors degree.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 AM

I'm also thinking about going back to school. Just to ease my mom's soul. Plus I think she would accept my massive amounts of poker I'm playing a little easier.

Still not sure on a major though. A life-long dream was to become a sports agent but with my grades from previous years I doubt I'll ever get into law school. I might just screw around in the GEs a few more years who knows. When I'm in college I'm so lost. Be happy you have some sort of idea with what you wanna do with your life.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like when someone tries to justify their decision to go pro because they made 40K in a year. That's not nearly as much money as you'd make in a normal job with a Bachelors degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but this isn't necessarily true. Depends on your degree, experience, and the area you live in. Someone coming out of college with a BA in Sociology living in BFE, TX probably won't make 40K for a lot of years.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 PM

It sounds like you are trying to choose a career path/degree based on what you feel you ought to do instead of what is in your heart. My advice would be to first discover the field that ignites your passions, and from there figure out a way to make money with it. Too many people waste so much of their lives studying things they don't care about, and then working at jobs they hate. It's not worth it.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Economics - yeah, good idea... studied it before as well, plus i live in london so could get a nice tidy city job at an investment bank or something at the end of it, if the easy poker money dries up in 4 years time (which i suspect it will). Thanks.

Any other ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I gave up the investment banker's life to play poker full time. It'll be easy to get back in to once the poker dries up and/or I start losing.