Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: How do some players consistantly winning at NL playing garbage?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been successful at NL for about 6 months and have tightened up preflop as Ive learned and become more agressive post flop.I play on several sites that dont use pt, but on pt i have a 17.5 vpip,5.45% PFR and agression numbers of 2.54 1.63 and 1.56 on the flop turn and river respectively. and have won 7.7 BB/100 over 70,000 hands.( These stats are only for Party and the Cryptos, I also play at UB, Bodog, and Paradise)

However I play on Bodog and see Josh Arieh playing tons of flops and always winning. When Ive seen him on TV his post flop play is exceptional and he makes great reads. But Ive seen him calling 6x BB raises with 36s King 2 78 and such trash.

How does he manage to play such garbage, play so many hands and win so consistantly? What is a great player like me doing that a decent player like me is not?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the money is very deep, it is almost never a big deal to play a lot of hands preflop, and it makes you much less predictable. It's not like he's committing to trash hands postflop - and when he does hit a mega-flop with a garbage hand, then he can easily get paid off massively since you have no idea what he has. A strong player who is capable of playing anything is a lot more dangerous than someone who will only play premium hands. And there are many ways to win without the best hand in no-limit - unless there's a showdown, he doesn't need to actually have anything if he can outplay his opponents. Doyle Brunson once said he would play every two cards if he could have the button every hand.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 AM

All major EV decisions are made postflop. Preflop strategy is done to set up postflop situations, not as much for its EV value. TAG play is merely done that way because it sets up post flop situations tags are comfortable with.

A good lag can play many more situations because his postflop is better.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell gets stacked with AQ high?
Ive seen it when donks chase a flush draw but thats hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

The best part is, she went down in stakes from 2/5 NL to a $25 max buy in game to tell everyone how terrible I was. I laughed.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I understand they cant put him on a hand but the hand reading on his part has to be a lot harder online than live

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too much harder - physical tells and talking to players are only a small part of hand reading. Live increases the number of things you can use to get a read, but I'd imagine an expert would be able to read hands almost as well online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also keep a ridiculous database of stats and notes on your online opponents.