Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Default 7 days in LV ... 26 to go: MY PERSONAL BLOG

Here is my story: I was layed off by SBC Communications on May 4. Those employees that were let go were given the option to work for 30 days so my last day was June 3. I've got severence and commission checks on the way and I'm not sure I want to stay in Atlanta ... I looked at the calendar and decided to take a month off and head to LV during the WSOP. I've been playing seriously for the past two years after spending some time at the Taj playing hold 'em in the mid-90s while working in Philadelphia. I'm playing ring games in an attempt to grow my bankroll and am playing WSOP and The Palms Summer Series satellites.

I've played in the Trop, Excalibur, Aladdin, WSOP cash games and final tabled today at Binion's 2pm tourney (James Tipton was at my final table).

I started a blog a few days before I drove out here from Atlanta. The blog includes pictures from the WSOP (including pictures of final tables). It's about 75% poker and 25% other stuff but I think you will all enjoy it. Send me a PM and let me know what you think or if any 2+2ers want to head to Orleans or Binion's for a tournament during the next few weeks. Good luck to all 2+2ers who are already in LV mixing it up.

My blog address is: http://hazycloud.blogspot.com/

Greg H.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: 7 days in LV ... 26 to go: MY PERSONAL BLOG

Read the Binion's report. Interesting read. Folding JJ there was criminal. You've already sunk your time - the goal is to win those things, not finish 7th and win a couple of dollars. If you bubble, you bubble. At least you would've gone out trying to win.

I also think your call with K2 was pretty bad. You're much better off waiting until the blinds pass you and taking a shot if it folds to you. You are clearly way behind and may be dominated. Better to make that move with 56 than with K2.

Anyway, good luck the rest of the way.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:16 PM

Both of those decisions are close.

In the JJ case, it sounds like he was a couple places from the money, and there were two or three about to go out. In that case, calling with JJ - even against a bullying big stack - isn't automatic.

In the K2 case, he was already in for 4000, giving him better than 5:1 on his money. He has to pay the small blind next, and will probably need to be all-in on that hand regardless.

In other words, winning 20k+ in this situation will make a big difference, losing 4k probably won't.

Also, waiting for the blinds to pass doesn't make any sense. He'll have 6k, less the antes, on the button. The bb would be foolish to fold for 2k at that point.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding JJ there was criminal. You've already sunk your time - the goal is to win those things, not finish 7th and win a couple of dollars. If you bubble, you bubble. At least you would've gone out trying to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought a lot about this decision overnight and couldn't agree more with you freekobe. There was t112,000 in play and I had t15,000 when I was dealt pocket Jacks. Had I won the hand I would have 27% of the chips in play at the eight-man table ... a very good position to take a run at the top spot. Regardless, it was a good learning experience and I will be calling the bully next time.

Greg H.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the K2 case, he was already in for 4000, giving him better than 5:1 on his money. He has to pay the small blind next, and will probably need to be all-in on that hand regardless.

In other words, winning 20k+ in this situation will make a big difference, losing 4k probably won't.

Also, waiting for the blinds to pass doesn't make any sense. He'll have 6k, less the antes, on the button. The bb would be foolish to fold for 2k at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This analysis is right on the money. I had t12,000 and then posted t4000 in the BB and had t8000 behind. I had two people go all-in, the small blind fold and I was getting 5:1 on my money. I thought it was a no-brainer and called the extra t4000. I think it is and was the right decision in this spot.

Greg H.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Good luck from one ATLien to another.