Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 07:02 PM

Default $30-60 KK hand, did I fumble?

$30-60.

9handed.

I'm dealt KK UTG and I raise, UTG+1 (fishy tendencies) threebets, everyone folds to the button (former megafish who seemed to have educated himself somewhat lately) who coldcalls. I decide to just call and try to get a checkraise in later.

Flop comes J 9 8 rainbow.

I check, UTG+1 bet, button calls and I call.

Turn is a blank, a 4 or something. I check again, UTG+1 bet, button folds and I checkraise, he threebets and I call him down on a blank river.

Particularly interested in the decision not to cap preflop and instead go for a turn checkraise which I was pretty confident of getting in.

Comments?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: $30-60 KK hand, did I fumble?

Is this live or online?

The preflop flat call is good when it's heads up, but once a 3rd player calls, capping is better.

The flop check-call is bad. You want to either check-raise or lead 3-bet the flop. Here, I'd lean towards lead 3-betting and save the checkraise for more raggedy flops.

A good line when you open-raise AA or KK and get 3-bet (when the pot will be heads up) in overaggro online games is to:

smooth call preflop,
checkraise the flop, and call the 3-bet
lead 3-bet (or checkraise 4-bet in the case of an extremely aggro opponent) the turn.

The check-call check-raise line leaves too many bets on the table in these situations IMO. You are much better off representing, the old: I think I'm probably ahead...no free cards for AK. By the time you 3-bet the turn, they'll figure they're beat but will almost always call down because the pot is big, or just in case, or whatever.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:50 PM

i like capping pf and leading the flop against 2 players. i tend to save trickiness when its a multihanded pot.

with flat calling id checkraise the flop because its better than betting and getting raised, driving out the button when he either has a smaller pair or AK, both of which you want in.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:22 PM

Hey FL,

Cap preflop when you've got more than one opponent. Heads up versus an aggressive opponent, yes, call the 3-bet and work him postflop.

After that, I hope he overplayed AJ which I'm sure he is capable of.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 PM

Default nothing wrong here

but w/ the action i feel ur beat , especially on threat board like that, but fishy ppl can do stupid unpredictable things at times