Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Have a good laugh at this one

Perhaps the worst playing of AA ever.

'Stars $30 + 3 single. Level II 15/30, 9 still around. Stacks range from 1000-2000 or so. I'm MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2 folds, I limp. MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB raises to 60, BB calls, I call, MP2 calls, Button raises to 120, Blinds call, I call, MP2 folds, (540)

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Blinds check, I check, MP2 checks, Button bets 150, SB calls, BB folds, I raise to 450, Button calls, SB folds. (1590)

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I push in, button instantly calls his last 690 and turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I think this one has to be the lead chapter in "How to Lose Money With AA" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Have a good laugh at this one

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the worst playing of AA ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty far from it. Yes, he should have reraised more PF, but wouldn't you (or at the very least most opponents) have played this pretty similarly with a hand like QQ with Q of clubs, and maybe (though far less likely) even without the club? He really can't make the laydown postflop unless a fourth club comes, I don't think, as there's just not enough stack for him to concretely determine that you've got the nut flush. Way to skillfully flop the flush, though.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:04 AM

Preflop, limping on the button in a multiway pot makes a huge range of flops dangerous to him. His small reraise makes it wrong for anyone to fold even if they know he has AA.

On the flop, of course he doesn't know I have the nuts, but he certainly knows *he* doesn't have a club, and he gives 3 opponents odds to call.

but wouldn't you (or at the very least most opponents) have played this pretty similarly with a hand like QQ with Q of clubs

If you mean he might have played this similarly with QQ, one club -

Would I limp from the button with QQ, only double the bet when it's minraised back to me with 4 opponents, then only bet 1/4 the pot on a monochrome flop with a draw to only the 3rd nut flush??

If you mean I might have played QQ, one club like this against his actions, that's even more absurd. Especially checkraising the flop into a guy whose preflop play screamed AA *and* 2 other opponents when I don't have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I guess all you newbies out there don't get the concept of humor or irony. The purpose of this post was not to say "look how great I played this hand," but to show how his poor play opened up the door to his aces getting cracked. That's OK. I don't post much on here any more, so you're not familiar with me. Maybe I should've put some smileys in.

The one valid criticism of my play is limping with a medium suited A with 6 players left to act. I have to fold to any reasonble raise. At every point after that preflop (postflop, obviously the hand plays itself), nobody make a reasonable raise.

If you're saying I should raise/fold initially preflop, that's reasonable (I might disagree, but that's a different argument), if you're saying at any point thereafter preflop I should have folded, that's flat out wrong.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Kurn, dont confuse the party players with only 800 starting chips who only know how to play tight early and then push any 2 on the bubble.

I dont think Ive laughed so hard since I saw that guy linking you to the how to play NLHE thread.

Let me assure all previous posters in this thread:

Kurn> you.

Edited to add: You do deserve some stick for calling this the worst playing of AA ever. I think anyone who has played more than a week online will have seen AA played worse than this.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 AM

I think anyone who has played more than a week online will have seen AA played worse than this.

I must've been mesmerized by the limp-reraise from the button. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop, limping on the button in a multiway pot makes a huge range of flops dangerous to him. His small reraise makes it wrong for anyone to fold even if they know he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the small reraise was bad. That's the thing I like least about this hand. As for limping, if he expected a raise behind him, I don't mind it so much if he plans to reraise bigger here. I like best a nice standard 4 BBs or so. So that was pretty bad. Postflop, in an SNG, where a huge chunk of opponents are not going to even put him on AA/KK based on his PF actions, and plenty others will play TPTK on this flop, I really can't see him getting away from this too often unless a fourth club comes.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess all you newbies out there don't get the concept of humor or irony. The purpose of this post was not to say "look how great I played this hand," but to show how his poor play opened up the door to his aces getting cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

What humor or irony? You state all of this pretty explicitly, talking about how it's the worst play of AA ever. I guess you veterans have short-term memory problems. Or not much sense of what is humorous.

EDIT: Also, I'm not complaining about your playing of the A9s.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:10 AM

As for limping, if he expected a raise behind him, I don't mind it so much if he plans to reraise bigger here.

He's on the button, it's a bit much to *expect* a raise behind him.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He's on the button, it's a bit much to *expect* a raise behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a vacuum, I agree. However, there are definitely some players who I think will pretty frequently pop this for a large amount from the SB or BB just to try and grab money from the limpers. So I can conceive of instances where it might not be totally unreasonable to think that a raise is pretty likely to happen. But yes, those are going to be the exception rather than the rule. As I said before, I think it's better to just make a standard raise there.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. Maybe I should've put some smileys in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotf...wiping beer of my laptop screen!!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 12:59 AM

you and your opponent should both read this guide