Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Good play, bad play or misclick?

$10+1 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1434)
Hero (t930)
BB (t4596)
UTG (t1040)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t930 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t730.

Flop: (t1860) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1860) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1860) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1860

Hero has 7c Qd (high card, king).
BB has 2c 3s (one pair, threes).
Outcome: BB wins t1860.

The BB has been playing a good game and has used her big stack well. So, why does she call my all-in with a hand that, at best, is only going to win 1 in 3 times?

If she folds, she has more than half the chips with the rest of the chips pretty much evenly divided between the other 3 players. While we're playing conservatively, waiting for each other to bust out, she could use her big stack to wear us down.

Am I missing anything here?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Good play, bad play or misclick?

Your play was fine and the BB's call was terrible. You're not missing anything.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:21 PM

BB was getting 1.68 to 1 on the call and knows your pushing a wide range here so most likely his cards are live which I think would justify the call.

Although given that its a 10+1 it was probably a misclick which sucks for you.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM

So, why does she call my all-in with a hand that, at best, is only going to win 1 in 3 times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, against a random hand she's gonna win about half the time. Looks like you're pushing random hands. Not everybody has the calling/folding standards they "should" have or you presume they have or you'd like them to have.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM

He has a mountain of chips and it doesn't matter whether he calls or not, which is why your push is so bad.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, against a random hand she's gonna win about half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You realize the BB is the one with 32, right?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has a mountain of chips and it doesn't matter whether he calls or not, which is why your push is so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Nick?

This is a push that I would usually make, and a call that I wouldn't even think about making.

What am I missing?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$10+1 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1434)
Hero (t930)
BB (t4596)
UTG (t1040)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t930 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t730.

Flop: (t1860) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1860) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1860) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1860

Hero has 7c Qd (high card, king).
BB has 2c 3s (one pair, threes).
Outcome: BB wins t1860.

The BB has been playing a good game and has used her big stack well. So, why does she call my all-in with a hand that, at best, is only going to win 1 in 3 times?

If she folds, she has more than half the chips with the rest of the chips pretty much evenly divided between the other 3 players. While we're playing conservatively, waiting for each other to bust out, she could use her big stack to wear us down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd push this 100% of the time.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Based on everything our hero has seen from villain, this is anything but a bad push. He's the shortstack, with 4.5xBB left...she's been playing well with her large stack (which means not calling pushes with 32o). He's in the best possible stealing position, and getting called by that junk is most definitely +EV long-run...as is not getting called by that junk and stealing the blinds.

This is a GOOD push, and a BAD call. You got unlucky but that's all. Don't let results-oriented posters dissuade you from making obvious plays. Also, don't post results and you'll get better advice.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Nick?

This is a push that I would usually make, and a call that I wouldn't even think about making.

What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't make this call either, but I probably wouldn't make this push. I just don't think it correct to push into a monster stack that is getting over 1.5-1 when there are 2 other stacks that are desperate also. If the other two stacks were larger, I would make this push, but not with the stacks the way they are now.