Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Nut straight in huge pot vs. runner runner flush

Both opponents are loose-passives, but not enough hands for %s yet.

I feel like I may have been intoxicated by the action and been on autoraise mode. Does anyone here slow down when the 3rd heart comes? The only point in raising this river is for value, and I'm fairly certain I'm splitting with another AK here, so I only get half of whatever else the 3rd guy puts in, and MP woke up when a 2nd heart came. I also know that runner runners are unlikely, but given the preflop action, I figured two high suited cards are much more likely to be out there.

3-bet or call the river? I 3-bet because I was having fun, but after the fact I figured two pair or a set is as likely as a couple of hearts, if not more so, so it is a thin value raise.

This particular situation is rare, but runner runners coming in after a person wakes up on a turn flush draw are common. How good of a hand do you guys usually have to have in order to value raise the river here with this much action? What if I just have a set?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 32.50 BB
Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Nut straight in huge pot vs. runner runner flush

Fold the river calling 2 back, the pot's too small and you're not good nearly enough.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the river calling 2 back, the pot's too small and you're not good nearly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prolly call the 2, but when it comes back capped I think I fold
Old 11-17-2005, 05:39 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm being serious here. Lately, I've been studying large pot situations. I'm doing this because it's easy to go through PT and find the biggest pots, and I tend to spew in them. I like to see examples of where you have to slow down or even fold in large pots. I'm wondering if this is one.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prolly call the 2, but when it comes back capped I think I fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Is folding preflop an option?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM

It could be someone has the flush or else everyone has AK.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 PM

call, and it looks like you played this right...

the other two players look like they are on straight draws, as they began betting/raising on the flop, which was rainbow...you have nut straight...possibly one of the others has King high, or idiot end of the straight.

i must ask you what the result was...because i can see no fault with your play of this hand, so why post it unless there was surprise ending? (not looking for a pat on the back are you?)

your 3bet preflop is agressive poker and good play when you have a strong hand, so build the pot rather than playing backwards
Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM

No it's not. If he's got AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so be it. 3-bet is probably a bit over the top. This hand is pretty pointless because the SB is going to 3-bet here regardless and MP will either cap or call the 3-bet. So what. It's a huge pot, you're seeing showdown.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call, and it looks like you played this right...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it? Should I have called or 3-bet? I 3-bet, and you said I played it right.

[ QUOTE ]
i must ask you what the result was...because i can see no fault with your play of this hand, so why post it unless there was surprise ending? (not looking for a pat on the back are you?)

[/ QUOTE ]

But everyone else is saying call on the end. No, I don't want a pat, and the result was not surprising. I was just confused, so I posted it. I try to be aggressive, but this much action scares me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a huge pot, you're seeing showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your sure that at best you have at least a one way split, I would characterize the pot as big but not huge, and I think that at best splitting the pot is almost a certainty here.

Now if the your vying for a 10 BB rather than a 20 BB win, how many bets are you willing to invest to get it? On the river it's at least two, and it might go to three or four. So your odds to see showdown on the river are somewhere between 2.5:1 and 5:1.