Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Would you fold this if you were at his position?

$400 NL game, 5 Max. I won this hand but i wanted to see what would others do if they were at villains position and of course, why.

Hero has ~$780 , Villain about the same. No special info on him because he doubled up at his first couple hands in the table and then this hand occured.

Hero is EP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain is button and bets 4BB, Hero raises 9BB, everybody folds, Villain calls.

Flop
5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets pot size , Hero-reraises one more pot

Turn

5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I thought that the second 5 mightscare him but i wanted him to know that i dont have it and i also wanted him to put him into the pot if he had KQ or AK as i though he might have so

Hero bets half pot, Villain min raises , Hero goes all in, Villain calls.

River:
blank

At showdown villain had KQo and my question is...would have gone that far with KQ with that hand after all that preflop and flop action and without any information at the other player?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Would you fold this if you were at his position?

It would be tough to put any more in with KQ on that turn unless he was committed.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:39 AM

im very inclined to believe either you changed the stakes of this game and messed up the math or changed the betting post flop because it doesnt add up at all and villain seems pot committed on the turn.

presuming preflop you limp reraised to a total of 9bb ($36, not nearly enough if you're oop) and villain called, including the 6 from the blinds, there is roughly 80 in the pot on the flop. if villain bets the pot and you pot raise, he has made it 80 and you have raised 240 on top, if he calls you, the pot is at almost 700 going into the turn. if you bet half pot, 350, his only raise is a push and you've got very little money left. while it's very likely he's against a set or just got counterfeited by aces, it's still tough to lay down when he has committed half his stack on the flop and there's any possibility you have AK.

on another note, that check raise is very obviously a big hand. suppose he had AK, he's probably laying down to your check raise and you could have made decent money against him if you had played it differently, like leading, calling his raise, then checking the turn... if you had lead out on the flop, you're much more likely to stack someone. when you limp reraised a small amount, he has to put you on a big pair. if you had aces, you wouldnt like the flop, but you would definitely still bet. so immediately he's thinking you flopped a monster. it's hard for him to put you on the set since he has both the k and the q in his hand and i guess for that reason, you cant fault him for calling the flop raise thinking you have AK, and at the turn, he's no longer able to fold because of the pot size.

if the hand were played out as i suspect and most of the bets were smaller than you claim, he could possibly get away from it on the turn, but you're not going to see many people dump it at the 400 level or below. he played it like he thought he was trapping you, so he definitely wasnt considering folding.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 AM

At the turn i agree with you that he probably called because he was pot commited since the bets were really big (which they were by the way, i simply wrote it by memory). But why lose the rest at the turn if you are absolutely sure that the other person has you and you just got unlucky ( which he wasn't at this case, i had him from flop but he didn't know it so that 5 actually kinda saved him but didn't take the chance) ?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 AM

He probably just sucks. Don't over think it. And unless I have a good read on you I fold the flop reraise.