Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Default stuff to do in LA?

hey everyone,
I'm going to be in LA with my wife (honeymoon) for two days next week. we're staying at the Standard and renting a car for our time in LA. I'd really appreciate recommendations for the following, quality being more important than price:

best mexican
best sushi
good art museums
good rock clubs
other interesting things to do

also, feel free to recommend your favorite place to eat.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: stuff to do in LA?

Art museums - The J. Paul Getty in Malibu. The architecture/setting of the building itself is worth the trip, let alone the artwork. It is a "must see" for art museums. Check with the concierge (if hotel has one) or call museum before going to find out how best to arrive. You have to park away from museum and take a shuttle - because of parking. You might even need reservations. Before the big expansion you needed reservations, not sure the deal now.

There is a great sushi place in Santa Monica. I can't think of the name right now, but I will PM you with it. I know the owner/chef (friend of my brother). A group of us ate there during my last LA visit - fantastic.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Best hangout? When I was visiting it was the Rainbow Bar and Grill on sunset.

I could live in that place.

Just go down sunset at night. Something will be going on.

b
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM

I just wanted to say that the Standard is a fun place to hang out. The bathrooms in the rooms are kind of strange though. Good luck taking a dump with your new wife sitting there watching you through the glass. You'll understand how it feels to live in a terrarium.

The club upstairs is awesome, and the rooftop pool is amazing in mid-morning. Lots of models just sitting by the pool, drinking a beverage and looking good. Very cool.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 PM

I only spent 3 days there on a trip to So Cal. (I stayed at the Standard Downtown, loads of fun).

I don't know what kind of 'rock' you're into, but definitely check out what's playing at the House of Blues and the Henry Fonda Theater. Both have good shows happening a lot. Especially lately the House of Blues has had a lot of hard rock/metal shows of note.

Definitely go shopping while in LA. Amoeba Records is an incredible music store, especially if you are into music slightly off the beaten path. Of course, go to Hollywood and check out all of the clothing stores, etc... just don't go crazy spending all your money on fad clothing from Tommy Lee heh.

Restaurant-wise, there are truly many good places to go... other people here can recommend, or just go and look up some reviews in Frommer's. I would recommend getting one of those guides (irreverent guide, etc.), it will come in handy for sure to have the reference.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM

the Getty is a great museum - put that on your list.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM

I really regret not seeing Jon Brion's standing Friday night gig at Key Largo the last time I was in LA.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Typhoon in the Santa Monica airport is some of the best Thai-fusion food I've ever had. The deep-fried catfish is great but probably too much for only two people.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely go shopping while in LA. Amoeba Records is an incredible music store, especially if you are into music slightly off the beaten path.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to the world that Amoeba started in Berkeley, CA, and it is indeed the world's best record store. Not close.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Standard Downtown = +EV

The Standard Hollywood on Sunset... a good place to party, horrible place for a hotel room. I stayed there 2 years ago and swore I would never go back. Its like a crack house for the hip set.

Good luck... go all in!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]