Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 12:41 AM

Default Big stack calling stations

Hi everyone new to this site. Ive been starting to play more MTTs and have come across a big problem for me. In the later rounds with a slightly larger than normal stack I'm moved to a new table. One of the chip leaders is always to my left and is playing very loose(calling every hand raised or not) This makes it very hard for me to try to pick up blinds and antes. I would like to know what the best strategy is for playing in this situation. Thanks for all replies.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Big stack calling stations

Isolate the calling station and try to get the calling stations chips committed preflop when you have a decent hand. You don't have to wait for a good hand, but you need at least a decent one.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:25 AM

You could always just keep folding. The chip leader to your left is either going to suffer a lot from calling too much or he's going to make his stack bigger when lower stacked players push all in on him. There's no need for you to interfere unless you seriously need the blinds right then and there to survive.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:59 AM

Sometimes big stacks will play loose thinking they can use their big stack to pick up the pot on later streets. I call and raise a lot more with a big stack than a medium stack.

With someone like that in front of you, you need to play tighter and avoid straight steals of the blinds. The good part is you will get called with your strong hands. You may also be able to trap this player with strong hands, if he calls and them tries to steal the hand later.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:41 AM

Go all in on the flop with an overpair, they almost always call
Old 08-28-2004, 08:05 AM

Depends on the player. With some loose aggressive big stacks, it is better to feign weakness with checks or weak bets. They may keep coming at you, trying to run you down.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the player. With some loose aggressive big stacks, it is better to feign weakness with checks or weak bets. They may keep coming at you, trying to run you down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find that this works best. If you have a high pair and the flop is rags, check to him and he will probably bet, assuming you have nothing. Most of them are level 1 thinkers (to them checking means you have nothing).