Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 04:52 AM

Default A 5/10 Hand Posted Voluntarily (This One Might Even Be Interesting...)

Hey all,

OK, I've posted a couple of lame ones recently. But, this one should be good...

5/10 on Stars. A few good players, a few unremarkables, and a few fish. EP ($900) limps, MP ($450) limps, then I ($1700) raise to $50 in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folded around to EP and MP, who both call. $165 in the pot, 3 to the flop, which comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet $90, EP calls, MP folds. $345 in the pot, 2 to the turn, which comes:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EP checks, I bet $225, EP check-raises all-in for $535 more. EP has been at the table for a few orbits and has yet to do anything too remarkable. Called a 3/4 pot bet on the turn with the nut flush draw. Has seemed a little on the loose side, but no read on aggression.

Call or fold?

All comments greatly appreciated.

ML4L
Old 07-31-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: A 5/10 Hand Posted Voluntarily (This One Might Even Be Interesting...)

I'm guessing KQs and you called and took it down.

AK he might have raised you preflop. KQs, he was probably trying to see how the flop hits him and go from there.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: A 5/10 Hand Posted Voluntarily (This One Might Even Be Interesting

I think you have to call, obviously your concerned about a set but I think your opponent will have AQ or KQ here too many times to make that the right move. If you knew your opponent better you could consider a fold.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: A 5/10 Hand Posted Voluntarily (This One Might Even Be Interesting...)

I think you should call here. The flush draw on the turn combined with the fact that the queen is not a diamond widens the range of hands that EP will make this move with.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Results (Hopefully Discussion Will Continue)

Hey all,

I hate posting the results with so few replies, but oh well... Briefly, my thought process was that he had one of two things: a set or Qx of diamonds. Kinda like the inane A2 hand, once you make the read, you just guess the chances that you're ahead and decide accordingly. Here, I guessed call. The river blanked and EP showed K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I've been surprised that everyone has said to call so far. I thought EP made a great play, because it REALLY looked like a set. But, as Grifter pointed out, the fact that the turn was a diamond and the queen was not a diamond made me suspicious. I do think that the decision is relatively close, though.

What do people do if the money is deeper? Do you still bet the turn here if you're going to muck to a check-raise?

I guess this one borders between routine and interesting. Hopefully, someday, I will once again have a truly interesting hand to post...

ML4L