Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 AM

Default best books

hello gents,
I have only been playing hold-em regularly for about a year now. I love the game and have been reading a few books recently, mainly harrington on hold'em. I found these very useful and have definitely improved my game substantially. However i was just wondering what the other books i should think about getting and studying that will improve my hold'em the most are?
i also understand though that there is no substitute for getting on the tables and keep gaining experience, but am eager for any other way to improve my game.
i apologise if this question is better suited to the beginners board.
thankyou for your time.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: best books

Hi kidgoals, welcome to the forums.

For future reference, there is a forum dedicated to Books/Publications that may be more suited forum to this type of question.

If you're going to play No-Limit, Super/System is an absolute must-read. Not so much for the hand-specific advice, but for the overall philosophy that Brunson advocates.

For limit, Small Stakes HoldEm by Ed Miller is great, although it wasn't written with today's more aggressive, 6max games in mind.

Other than that, I would check out Theory of Poker by Sklansky to get grounded in basic gambling principles.

Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:45 PM

harrington on hold'em is fantastic, and is the book i refer to most. that's probably because i play mostly NL tournaments.

even if you're not going to spend lots of time grinding on low limit tables you should still read small stakes hold'em by ed miller. great book.

read super system for three reasons. first, as the previous poster mentioned, doyle's NL philosophy is important to know. second, it will give you a good introduction to other poker games like omaha. third, the limit section by jennifer harman is very good.

read the theory of poker by sklansky. it's just good to understand the fundamental theorom.

if you're playing live you should read mike caro's book of tells. it's pretty interesting, and just putting a few of his table reading skills into your game will help.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM

Improve Your Poker by Bob Ciaffone, The best book I have read, 3 times.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Thankyou very much for all replys.
Good luck on the tables.