Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Hand from WSOP 2000 NL

If you do'nt maximise the pressure on your opponent here with this flop you should not have called pre flop. All-in, he has'nt got enough chips for a check raise to work and you need to maximise your chances of winning with a bet he can fold to.

regards

Ross
Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 AM

Default RESULTS

I bet 2500, he thinks and puts the rest of his chips in...I call. He has TT Brick, Brick...thats it. Was my pre-flop call correct? What do u guys think about betting 2500? I did it because it seemed stronger at the time than all-in. Any opinions?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Maybe a crazy thought:

Other than KK and QQ, what hands are you trying to push him off of here? If he has an ace, he's calling and that's bad for you, but if he has any pair below QQ, you are the favorite. With TT, he has pot odds to call so I suppose you'd rather he just fold, but I'd rather take the shot at the rest of his chips as the favorite.

Since he's not folding an ace, is it terrible to check and call, so that he DOESN'T fold JJ/TT/99?

Edited to say checkraise allin if he doesn't put you allin, but get to him to commit his chips if he has JJ-99.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:49 AM

The play on the flop was a Check.

If he bets more than 1/2 his stack fold.. If he bets less than 1/2 his stack, you come over the top all in with the check-raise. Also trust your read.. I don't think he best more than 1/2 his stack with those 10-10's after getting called preflop.

If he's a decent player, there's no way he can call the raise IMO unless he has a great read on you.

After calling pre-flop, Check-Fold or Check-Raise was the play, IMO.

If you weren't willing to make that play, you probably should have just folded preflop.

I don't like betting 2500 where you did. That's as good as going all-in.. You are pot committed to call if he comes over the top of you.

Best options: #1. Check-Raise, #2. Check-Fold (if he pot commits himself, he probably has the ace),

Old 06-26-2005, 12:25 PM

there is an argument for checking, but it's not so you can get all-in with 99-JJ. you're barely ahead of those hands, so they easily have the odds to call, so you don't want them in the pot. the hands you want to trap into betting are hands like KJ that have missed completely and would be drawing very thin against you. i think this is a viable play. villain should be opening a decent number of non-pair, non-ace hands, and i'd expect a continuation bet a lot of the time.

however, if it goes check-check, the hand becomes much more difficult to play well. the chance to fold out a hand like TT (or at least try....) is pretty valuable, so i like a bet.

playing this as a stop-n-go would not have occured to me. i like it for the most part, but i think pushing into a rainbow A-high flop is going to leave you drawing dead a large percentage of the time. i think calling pre-flop and pushing any non-A board (i would also check if i flopped a pair) is a better line.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:38 PM

That makes sense. I was putting him on a tighter range of hands than I should have. I like checking even more now. I realize you can get KK-99 to fold some of the time to this bet, but his calling range is probably any ace and some of those pairs some of the time. That range crushes you and I don't think getting TT to fold some of the time makes up for what you miss by not inducing a bet from a worse hand assuming his betting range is much bigger.

You want TT to fold but aren't hating getting all your money in against it.

Check-check, blank on turn, bet 1500?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:55 PM

Do any of you guys fold this hand preflop? It just seems like your at best a coinflip here, and most of the time way behind.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:59 PM

Ok, I didn't realize villian was in the cut off. So this obviously makes his raise look vulnerable.