Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Tilt?

So I'm playing my 5th SNG of the day, wherein -- in 350 hands dealt -- I've had exactly three pocket pairs (77, folded to a raise and reraise ahead of me; 99, all-in short-stacked and lost to JJ; and, TT, folded on Ace-high flop). I'm down to 900 chips on 50/100 blinds, and I get QQ in the BB. Oh goodie.

Everyone folds.

Next hand, I catch 92o and push in. BB has ...

... QQ.

At least it was over.

Cris
Old 03-09-2004, 08:12 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: Tilt?

[ QUOTE ]
Next hand, I catch 92o and push in. BB has ...

... QQ.

At least it was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, you're very much in a hurry....

I hope it wasn't a 200$ SNG.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2004, 08:22 PM

Hi William,

Nah, it was a $33.

Next $33, AQ vs. a small-stack's all-in and a caller ... flop is A-Q-J ... I push, called by JJ ... all-in had KT, and my top two pair is the worst hand in the pot.

Cris
Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 PM

Hi Chris,

I havent been on the boards for a little while, but I remember reading some post by you where you were upset that you were getting smoked in allin situations.

Maybe these are isolated posts, but I worry that your mindset is not in a good place to play the game. The problem with not having the correct attitude is that defeat becomes self fulfilling, like it did here.

good luck
Old 03-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Hi Utah,

You're right. My mindset is in a terrible place. Next SNG (after AQ top two pair was the worst hand in the pot), another $33, I get AK on the very first hand, in the BB. Raise from MP, SB calls, and I call. Flop is A-2-2. I check, MP bets, SB calls, I call. Turn is K. I check. MP bets, SB calls, and I raise the pot. MP folds. SB pushes. I call. SB has 42o. Out on first hand.

This is beyond absurd. I am reaching the point of thinking I should go down to $5.50 SNGs, just so when I lose -- which at this point is inevitable -- it'll only be a small loss....

Cris -- who no longer believes it is even mathematically possible for her to win

P.S. Signed up for one more. I'm not going to play any hand except AA or KK. At least that way, I'll get bad beats instead of stupid beats.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 PM

You need to take a break. Your messages sound like a losing poker player, period. You may have the ability to beat the game, but I really doubt you're playing winning poker right now.

Look, my last 10-20 session, I cap it pre-flop HU v. maniac w/ QQ. Flop comes 38Jr. We cap it. Turn is a 4. We cap it. River is a T. I bet, he raises, I put him on JT and call. He shows me T3o. Whatever. Nice $400 pot for him. It sucks. It happens. Sometimes a lot of times in a row. Next hand. Next SNG. Dealing with that without letting it affect your game (or at least trying to minimize the effects) is a huge part of being a winning poker player.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:54 PM

I think you should play the limit sit-n-gos until you get your confidence back. I've noticed I can play limit fine even if I'm upset. In no-limit however, when I am on semi-tilt, I inevitably make a stupid mistake which costs me my whole stack. At least in limit my stupid mistakes only cost me a few bets.

In any event, a change of pace couldn't hurt.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM

You're not playing good poker, and that was a terrible move. You need to get over the whole,'man why am I so unlucky that nobody calls my pocket Qs?' mentality. You are losing due to bad plays like going all in with 9-2os; not due to bad luck.

Take some time off and try to improve your game.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:08 PM

Hi Ulysses,

My messages sound like a losing poker player for a reason ... at this point, I am a losing poker player. Last $55 SNG of the night. I call a min-raise with AQo in the CO. Flop is Q-T-4. He bets, I push, he calls and turns up 88. 8 falls on the turn and I'm out 17th.

I definitely need some time away, because at this point it is mathematically impossible for me to win a pot, let alone a tournament.

Cris
Old 03-09-2004, 09:09 PM

yeah didn't you say you were going to take a break? you probably should, go for a walk or something, or maybe even drink [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]