Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Update

Update: I ran a virus scan with Nortons and it found nothing. I then downloaded the program FixMYTOB and ran a system scan/recovery and it found nothing.

I got a little perturbed and more paranoid about my wireless connection. I called Linsys support and asked them to make sure that my wireless security was as high as possible. It was currently set at "disable" (when previously configuring the router for my homes three computers they told me to disable it and we never went back... WTF!). My current security is now WPA, the highest possible they said.

I then downloaded AVGs free edition. This scan finally found something! It found a trojan horse called SDBOT (irc/backdoor.sdbot.ltg). It seems do the same things as the MYTOB and I am hopefully assuming this was the cause for the rape of my computer's security.

I am now working on changing my passwords, a pretty big hassle considering how many I have. This whole situation has been pretty eye-opening and I encourage everyone (especially those that are dealing w/ a lot of cash on neteller) to take as many precautions as possible.

I still have no clue as to how I got this virus and that is frustrating as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Neteller account hacked (xpost)

you can set master passwords in roboform, without that the data is useless
Old 12-21-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]

I then downloaded AVGs free edition.

[/ QUOTE ] AVG rules. I recommend everyone get it.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How hard is it for someone driving by to decode encrypted information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hard at all. They could sniff the packets out of the air, or connect to your network and sniff the packets from there. However, neteller and all reputable poker sites are ssl encrypyted which means that if they got your neteller information they either got into your emailj (very possible) or they used a keylogger (also pretty easy).

I doubt that the problem is your wireless connection, I bet that it has a lot more to do with a virus/worm/keylogger on your current machine or some other machine.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 AM

My best guess is the thief got hold of a CC whose owner had the same name as the OP.

The scam would then be to deposit the CC cash into a poker site and dump the chips to a friend.

However, this theory does not explain why the hacker didn't simply use the CC directly at a pokersite.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 AM

What are you talking about? I already explained what happened. I got a trojan horse that logged my keystrokes allowing the to find my PWs.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:32 AM

i got my neteller account hacked by a keylogger a little over a year ago when i used to post on rgp that someone sent me.

luckily i got all my money back because it wasn't much ($200)
Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I then downloaded AVGs free edition.

[/ QUOTE ] AVG rules. I recommend everyone get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Avast!, very happy with it. Also free.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 AM

Please describe more on Roboform, and I assume you are suggesting that everyone on 2+2 should use this?

If I learned anything from working at an ISP, no traffic is safe. A virus can watch key strokes, or your intenret packet (esp unencrypted wireless) can easily be sniffed.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Ok here is the poop: Never do any sort of banking wirelessly. If you do I can read it. You are using a radio frequency to connect to the router that ANYONE in the area can pick up. Even if it is encrypted, if I record your key strokes I can figure out what you are sending. 128 bit encryption is not infallible. There are also a ton of other thing a hacker can do. The easiest to do especially if you have a password set up for your wireless connection would be to spoof your router. This is how they do it. They find out why kind of router you have, very easy to do, send out a spoofed log in window that looks exactly like your normal log in. You type in your user name and password, it says "You password is wrong please try again" and then they swap back to your real router. You just gave them your user name and password and they can see EVERYTHING you broadcast from that point on. People do this a lot in coffee shops because its so easy to do.

So in the future DON’T bank over your wireless and you will be safe.