Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 12:31 AM

Default 1/2 HU rivered a boat...

Villian and I have been playing short-handed for about 40 hands. I was starting to get a read on his play when this hand came up. He left after it, unfortunately. He's been running pretty well against me, but I've seen him bluff raise a river with air and call down hoping to improve too frequently.

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (2 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button :#A500AF(villian)/ calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls.

River: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

anyone play this any differently?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: 1/2 HU rivered a boat...

other than playing 1/2 heads up in the first place, what else could you possibly do in this hand?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:53 AM

If you start a table at UB it doubles the ungodly slow clearance rate of the bonus. Every once in a while I'll play HU just for kicks. We were five handed when villian came in and it quickly dropped to heads up.

My main reason for posting the hand was to check the river aggression. It seemed to me retrospectively that capping here was bad, but I wanted to make sure this was the correct play here given that villian has been rather passive in our history (although sample size is an issue).
Old 12-18-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you start a table at UB it doubles the ungodly slow clearance rate of the bonus. Every once in a while I'll play HU just for kicks. We were five handed when villian came in and it quickly dropped to heads up.

My main reason for posting the hand was to check the river aggression. It seemed to me retrospectively that capping here was bad, but I wanted to make sure this was the correct play here given that villian has been rather passive in our history (although sample size is an issue).

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't cap the river
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 AM

calling, sorry. I think there's a pretty narrow range of hands that he's capping with here. Folding would probably be a mistake, but when he wakes up on the river I should probably be concerned.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling, sorry. I think there's a pretty narrow range of hands that he's capping with here. Folding would probably be a mistake, but when he wakes up on the river I should probably be concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 3-betting the river is a huge mistake. Not calling the cap is an even bigger one. If he slowplayed J9 to the river, couldn't he have slowplayed 9x or 33? Maybe he went crazy with Jx or an overpair. If you lost this hand, comfort yourself in knowing that you would have lost more if villain had a clue.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:37 AM

good
Old 12-18-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

anyone play this any differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than wishing I was on Interpoker to 5-bet him? Nope.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 AM

No, you've got the second nuts behind only j9. You have to go all four bets on the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:59 AM

No other way to play this....