Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Default I really need feedback on this doubleshootout hand

We are 5 handed with blinds at 50/100

Hero is sb with Ten [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and T1300 chips

Button has T2200 chips and has been playing very loose and aggressive

BB has been very tight, solid and has not slowplayed anything

Action is UTG and UTG+2 folds, button limps, Hero completes and BB checks.

Flop is Ten [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pot size 300

Action: Hero checks, BB checks, Button bets 200, Hero calls, BB folds

Pot size: 700

turn card: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Button bets 400, Hero moves in for 900

Did I play this correct? Should I have moved in on the flop? I really need your analysis, thank you so much in advance!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: I really need feedback on this doubleshootout hand

I fold this preflop. If I saw the flop, I'm raising all in. If you have seen him fire on the turn after getting called on the flop, I like your line.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:05 PM

My thinking preflop is, its only 50 more chips to me, my cards are suited and I'm getting 5 to 1 against a predictable opponent (BB) and a loose and aggressive opponent who I can trap if I really like the flop. I flopped top and bottom, but I didn't want to push to hard until I saw the turn, just in case a 9 falls to counterfeit me and there were no real draws out there except for either JQ, 78 or J8. I could of pushed the flop, but when ur 5 handed, you don't get many opportunities to accumulate chips and this was a prime situation.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 PM

anyone else care to comment?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Calling in this scenario with 5-1 with predictable opponents isn't terrible. I'll make this move occasionally myself in this exact scenario.

Going for a check-raise on the flop is probably the best move, based on your read of the button as loose and agressive, but i would have check-raised all-in on the flop here. I'm looking to get all my money in the middle here and push out any possible draw.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:06 PM

So is the general consensus here fold preflop or push all in on the flop?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM

no, i think the general consensus was "it depends."

c
Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM

i dont think theres anything wrong with how you played it, but i think check raising the flop allin is a better play.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:16 PM

I have no problem with completing pre-flop, assuming you won't go broke with something like TPNK. I check-raise the flop, probably all-in, because any other raise leaves you with too little to matter, and a loose villain will call with tons of hands you dominate. The second-best option seems to be to call and push the turn, but then you're just guessing that his draw won't be completed. What I don't like about the turn check-raise is that you would absolutely hate for the button to check the turn, because half the deck could complete tons of hands on the river, and you'd have no idea where you were at.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with completing pre-flop, assuming you won't go broke with something like TPNK. I check-raise the flop, probably all-in, because any other raise leaves you with too little to matter, and a loose villain will call with tons of hands you dominate. The second-best option seems to be to call and push the turn, but then you're just guessing that his draw won't be completed. What I don't like about the turn check-raise is that you would absolutely hate for the button to check the turn, because half the deck could complete tons of hands on the river, and you'd have no idea where you were at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my read on the villain was he is loose/aggressive and I've seen him fire on the turn again after his cb's were called on the flop and I just knew he would fire again because he figured he could push me off my hand. But, I like your read about the turn check by villain, which I really didn't think about because I was pretty sure he'd fire once more.