Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: A proposal for a new type of tournament

I'd much rather bust someone for 100% of the pot when I catch them stealing a pot with 78s against my aces.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were, fish would not never have a chance to get lucky several times in a row in a STT or MTT, and thus would win even less than they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish aren't smart enough to figure this out. Most people playing poker think they are good at it.

To the people saying it will take forever it really won't. After a few hours into the tournament this rule can be lifted and the tourney can be played out in a traditional format.

I personally wouldn't enjoy this type of tournament, but I know some people that would. Before something like this gets implemented however, i'd be more interested in pokerstars offering low to mid limit mixed game tournaments.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:20 AM

recondite,

I respectefully disagree. Fish continue to play because they went through a good run or two. Many fish probably won a MTT for 10k plus because they won 7 races in a row, and sucked out a couple times. Without these massive luck sprees, the fish would quickly quit, and the trout would lose.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many fish probably won a MTT for 10k plus because they won 7 races in a row

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

Fish continue to play because there are always new ones joining the game, not because they are making thousands off mtt.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 PM

maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but wouldn't it be impossible to bust out if you were short stacked, you could just go all in preflop every time?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but wouldn't it be impossible to bust out if you were short stacked, you could just go all in preflop every time?

[/ QUOTE ]

op said it's only that way for the first chunk (say 2 hours).

this makes a lot more sense for cash games than it does for mtt. taking the "running it twice" idea to the end.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:22 PM

I remember quite a few suggestions for variance-less touenament poker (sometimes not entirely variance-less, but that's the spirit). The one and most significant problem is that variance is what gambling is all about. Variance is the opportunity of a complete amateur to take down the WSOP. It is the possibility that a kid that have just learned to play poker last month will win 30K online, few days after depositing $400. This is why so many people are attracted to the the game (of course they have never heard about "variance", they only know _anyone_ can win.), and it is why this game is so exciting.

Taking the variance out will very fast take the money out, and you have just turned MTT poker into some pure strategic game, which might be extremely interesting (I'm not sure) but there will be no big money in it, definitely not like in the normal "AQ sucks out on AK" poker. See, for instance, bridge.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:31 PM

i've heard it said that in the short run, poker is 90% luck and 10% skill...and in the long run, its 10% luck and 90% skill...or something

this would make it much better in the short run, and wouldn't change the long run

this sounds fine, in theory...but what about when all the fish stop making money in the short run, stop having stories to share with their friends, and when phil ivey gets 90% of the pot 10 handed at the 2003 WSOP and Moneymaker doesn't go on to win that tourney

without suckouts and extreme variance...there would be no fish, remember that, embrace it
Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Literally. You're never drawing completely dead preflop, so you'll have a really hard time busting out if you push every hand preflop.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM

Learn to embrace the suck-out (& even try it a few times!)