Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Am I Playing Too Tight?

I enter 1$ tourney's on Pokerstars, MultiSNG and Regular, and 5$ Single SNG, and it seems like I'm always trailing. I know I play tight, but I never get good starting hands. I end up almost always getting squeezed out by the blinds, but barely hanging on by strings. Why is it that it seems like some players can rack up chips and be at the top of the board, while I'm always struggling towards the bottom.

I do relatively good in all of the tourneys, but I can never seem to be on top where I have leverage over everyone else.

Anybody have any advice? I hope I made it clear what I am asking.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Am I Playing Too Tight?

Read both Harrington on HoldEms, you need to loosen up your hand requirements as the blinds increase relative to your stack.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:07 AM

U have 77 on the button with 10xBB. Somebody in middle position opens for 2xBB. No reads. What do u do?

If your not very sure of the answer your playing to tight.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
U have 77 on the button with 10xBB. Somebody in middle position opens for 2xBB. No reads. What do u do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess I am too tight, but what is the theory behind this question? Or at least could you give me the answer and explain it?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 AM

It's not entirely clear what you're talking about without examples.

When I first started playing MTT's, I played extremely tightly as well. This meant that I only did well when I caught good hole cards, and then only if they held up. What I found was I needed to find a way to logically expand my starting hand requirements in such a way that I wouldn't take on more jeopardy than I could handle. To be honest, I think I flailed around with suited aces and connectors, out of position for a long time before I understood what I was doing. I didn't have access to Harrington.

If you haven't read Harrington on Hold'em: Volume 1, I'd pick that up immediately. He outlines his starting req's in a variety of situations. At the very least, using his hand req's, you can start to play a few more flops without agonizing over whether A9o is strong enough to open with in mid position- he'll give you the answer. As you gain a better understanding of position, the Gap Concept, and your stack size in relation to the blinds, (through study and playing more hands) I think you'll find your game opens up naturally.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not entirely clear what you're talking about without examples.

When I first started playing MTT's, I played extremely tightly as well. This meant that I only did well when I caught good hole cards, and then only if they held up. What I found was I needed to find a way to logically expand my starting hand requirements in such a way that I wouldn't take on more jeopardy than I could handle. To be honest, I think I flailed around with suited aces and connectors, out of position for a long time before I understood what I was doing. I didn't have access to Harrington.

If you haven't read Harrington on Hold'em: Volume 1, I'd pick that up immediately. He outlines his starting req's in a variety of situations. At the very least, using his hand req's, you can start to play a few more flops without agonizing over whether A9o is strong enough to open with in mid position- he'll give you the answer. As you gain a better understanding of position, the Gap Concept, and your stack size in relation to the blinds, (through study and playing more hands) I think you'll find your game opens up naturally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is a weak point in my game. Instead of getting that book, is there anywhere else you can direct me to to learn or figure it out? I think if I can learn to loosen up as far as when I need to, I can dominate the tourneys I enter.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess I am too tight, but what is the theory behind this question? Or at least could you give me the answer and explain it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is that you push all your chips into the pot.
Pockets sevens are extremely good in that situation.

This is a very easy push and if you dont se that you are making big mistakes.
I also suggest that you read HoH 1&2
Post some hands
Play S&G
Old 12-03-2005, 07:57 AM

Trust me, get the book. My game has skyrocketed since reading Volume I and half way through Volume II. I cash more and make more final tables then I ever used to. I learned that AJo facing a huge reraise isnt that good anymore. GET THE BOOKS.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:06 AM

You have to study if you're going to learn with any speed or efficiency. There's no simple answer to how to play what when. As you add more hands to you game, you add more decisions and you have to learn tools to help you make those decisions. Even after you learn the material, you have to use it correctly, under pressure.

Alternatively, you could start playing a wider variety of hands and see what works. But there's no reason to reinvent the wheel: I'd start with the forum anthology, and keep reading posts. Harrington is great because he distills a lot of information and puts it in one relatively well organized place. You'll have to dig around in the forum to pick up the same ideas, and it will take more time.

Did I tell you to get Harrington?
(Long post just to say, "I don't know where else you should look.")
Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, get the book. My game has skyrocketed since reading Volume I and half way through Volume II. I cash more and make more final tables then I ever used to. I learned that AJo facing a huge reraise isnt that good anymore. GET THE BOOKS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be:

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Strategic Play (Vol. 1)

and

Harrington on Hold'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Endgame, 2