Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Why doesn\'t STT success transfer to MTT.

Same blind levels, same full table to start, but for some reason i can just not cash in any MTT lately while being WILDLY successful in the STTs. Has anyone else had similar varience between the two happen to them? Is this just a patience thing? I seriously can not understand it as i feel i am playing the same exact strong poker in both games, yet have not managed to cash in close to 85% of my MTTs in the past three months. Any help would be appreciated yet none is really expected of such a rant...thanks.

Emon96...stars
Old 11-06-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t STT success transfer to MTT.

Isn't it a lot harder to cash in a MTT? Only pays top 10% vs top 30%, 10-100x as many players, etc. It should be obvious that there will be lots more variance in MTTs.

Also, I think this should go in the MTT forum. Actually, I'm not sure it should go in any forum. Read, post, review, etc etc and so on and so forth.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it a lot harder to cash in a MTT? Only pays top 10% vs top 30%, 10-100x as many players, etc. It should be obvious that there will be lots more variance in MTTs.

Also, I think this should go in the MTT forum. Actually, I'm not sure it should go in any forum. Read, post, review, etc etc and so on and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]
\
Put it here because i wanted advise from other successful STT players who may have expirienced the same growing pains in the transition...aka betgo, Exitonly....I'll pop it up over there though as well...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:45 PM

MTT stretegy is different than SST strategy. The tables are almost always full, the opportunity cost is non-negligible (for both you and your opponent), the levels effective last longer since they are timed rather than 10-hands-per, a so on...

Also, when you complain that you haven't cashed in nearly 85% of your MMT's, it makes me wonder if you're implying you cash in 85% of your STT's.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:46 PM

I've been playing SNGs successfully for about a year and hadn't really played many MTTs aside from smaller live ones with less than 60 people.

I too have a really hard time cashing in them. It's a different game than an SNG. For one thing, it's a lot longer, which means you're playing a lot more poker and you're forced to accumulate chips for a longer period of time.

There are more players, which means the minefield is deeper and your journey to the end more treacherous.

With longer play, more players, and a greater chance to step on a mine, variance is obviously going to be a LOT bigger. That is reflected in the payouts, or ROI. You really need to play a lot of them before you have any idea if you're going to be successful or not. In fact, you really need to play a lot of them if you want to get better.

After playing at least two MTTs of 500+ players a day for about a week, I noticed that my performance improved greatly. Practice, studying, and reading here will help your MTT game a lot but don't expect the transition to be a snap or to yield immediate results.

We're probably going through the same kinds of frustration with MTTs but you just have to realize that it's a different form of tournament poker.

Good luck in your MTT pursuits.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM

if you fail to cash in 85% of MTT's, you're looking good to be a winning player. I don't cash in 86% of mine.

as for different strategies, SnG's you sit around and wait to push.. mtts you have to constantly be trtying to accumulate chips.. you're always playing at a full table.. and variance is killer.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Survival is an essential skill in SNGs since barely limping into the money is valuable. In MTTs, gaining chips is more important than merely surviving. This is because the big money is at the final table.

Put it this way: I would gladly take a coinflip for all my chips on the bubble of a MTT, while doing so in a SNG is usually incorrect.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Cool...i was pretty sure this to be the case, but since I saw your one month of success I began to overanalyze my game for holes. I am happy to see that the answer remains "keep playing solid poker"...thanks Exit
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Why don't apples taste like oranges?Hmmmmm.Maybe because they are completely different things?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:06 AM

You can be more weaktight in STTs and get away with it.

I recommend Paradise MTTs for people who autopilot and go allin a lot with high blinds.