Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Always cap with nuts?

say you have the nuts , but your playing micro limit and your pretty sure the other player has the same hand because the board is just that way, should u always cap it knowing the rake is going to take a lot of the money away or just 3 bet it. I always cap no matter what and it may be stupid but the rake is horrible when its a split and the flop was basically capped all the way
Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Always cap with nuts?

I recently observed a hand I folded preflop. At the turn, the table was TJQK rainbow. Two players are left, and they cap it. I'm of course thinking they both have an ace and that it's going to be a chop. On the river, one player bets and the other just calls, obviously thinking the same. As it turns out, the guy betting the river has a 9, while the one just calling has an ace. While this doesn't happen very often, I think in the long run you'll be better of capping, simply because other people do stupid things.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently observed a hand I folded preflop. At the turn, the table was TJQK rainbow. Two players are left, and they cap it. I'm of course thinking they both have an ace and that it's going to be a chop. On the river, one player bets and the other just calls, obviously thinking the same. As it turns out, the guy betting the river has a 9, while the one just calling has an ace. While this doesn't happen very often, I think in the long run you'll be better of capping, simply because other people do stupid things.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I completely agree, its amazing when a player refuses just to call when they dont have the nuts or sometimes not even 2nd or 3rd.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I completely agree, its amazing when a player refuses just to call when they dont have the nuts or sometimes not even 2nd or 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] those players! And yes, I agree - always cap the nuts.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 AM

I have had this happen also, with other players often having two pair.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 AM

Even if seems like the nuts are pretty obvious, if I have them and there is no chance of losing overcalls I don't stop. If it's HU on a Crypto site which has no limit on river bets, I bet until my stack is gone or the opponent runs out of chips or he calls.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 AM

I made the mistake of just calling in a big pot about a week ago with the broadway straight as I was sure that both I and the other 2 guys had it. Neither of them did, one had a lower straight the other one a set. I cost myself an easy couple of BB and have capped the nuts where possible ever since.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM

The only exception could be when the board plays. If the broadway straight is on the board, and capping would kick in more rake, you would lose money.

However... if you have a VERY STRONG suspicion (like 100%) that an idiot player may fold, maybe.

(I'm sure people here have stories about people folding when the nuts were on the board.)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
say you have the nuts , but your playing micro limit and your pretty sure the other player has the same hand because the board is just that way, should u always cap it knowing the rake is going to take a lot of the money away or just 3 bet it. I always cap no matter what and it may be stupid but the rake is horrible when its a split and the flop was basically capped all the way

[/ QUOTE ]

The key phrase here is, "you're playing micro limit". Many of your opponents are idiots, do not assume they would only cap if they had the nuts. They are just as likely ignoring the obvious straight on the table and thinking, "woohoo, I have 2 pairs!"