Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: poker while i drive

3.3.1 "Association between Cellular Telephone Calls and Motor Vehicle Collisions"

Twenty-four percent of participants used their mobile phone in the 10 minutes before the crash.

Using a mobile phone while driving is associated with an approximately four-fold increase in risk compared with not using the phone; this is similar to the risk of driving with a blood alcohol level at the legal limit.

Hand free phones are no safer than hand-held phones.

Younger drivers were found to be at more risk than older drivers.

http://www.cutr.usf.edu/its/mobile_phone.htm
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I've got this KILLER commute...

[/ QUOTE ]

"BAD BEAT RAGE MEETS ROAD RAGE", Cinnicinati Observer, June 4, 2006. A 37-car pile-up on I-66 has been traced by police to a combination of "bad beat rage" and "road rage". Eric Lungren, 26, was playing poker on his cellphone when his AA was cracked all-in by a fish holding 6-3, who drew runner-runner 3's for a 3-of-a-kind. Enraged and realizing that he was about to miss his turn-off, Lungren forced his way across 2 lanes toward exit 314. However, unknown to him, trucker Tim McFee in the second lane had already been cutoff 2 times by discourteous motorists in the last 5 minutes. McFee decided 3 was just too much, and accelerated his truck carrying 20 tons of shrimp into the back of Lungren's car, starting the pile-up. Before it was all over, 9 people had died in the crash and 37 others were hospitalized."

Actually, although this does create the possiblity for some bizarre accidents, I think it is possible to play poker responsibly while driving. I actually read a very interesting article about a video display system that is in development that would project a computer screen onto your windshield in a transaparent way, so that you could see what was on the screen as well as continue to keep your eyes on the road. Bizarre as that sounds, the article said it ws done in a way so that it was very clear what was on the road versus the screen and the screen didn't interfere with recognizing road situations. That and voice commands sounds like the ideal way to do it.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be serious. What roads will you be driving? I need to avoid those.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once saw a guy driving on the freeway in chicago with a newspaper rested on his steering wheel.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM

please, dont.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM

pokerroom.com on your cell phone!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:36 PM

yeah, im ashamed to say ive done it a few times. i live in texas and have to travel for work so id be on some flat, wide open country roads. i did it a few times last year really isnt worth the hassle. i had a lap top and a wireless internet card.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Damn, you PC whiners make me sick. I've driven with a hamburger in one hand, a coke in the other, while talking on a cellphone, and driving with one knee. And I drive a stick!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 AM

With the wireless card, don't u run the risk of losing connection quite frequently? I wouldn't think that there would be many wireless networks near the freeway....

mooks
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I've been told that there are pros who do this, they prefer driving to tournaments over flying, so that they can still play.....

mooks

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it in a thread here in 2+2 that eric lundgren does this when driving to vegas. I think he just uses a laptop and a cell phone on doesn't sound too hard. Though I don't think I would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Erick Lindgren said that he used to do it, but realized that it was dangerous and decided that it was +ev to rent a limo and play on the drive. (I think it was in an issue of MAXIM)
You are a fool if you think this is a good idea. Also, you can expect to go to prison if you cause an accident that results in bodily harm. This is so far over the line of reckless driving that you can ve fairly sure that the judge will through the book at you. At least you'll be the answer to a trivial pursuit question:
Who was the first person to go to prison as a result of Internet Poker?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:56 AM

You know, the OP didn't ask if you all thought it was a wise idea. He asked it it was possible.

I don't know the answer to that question.

~ Tilts