Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Is this a terrrible play or am I a big dummy?

[ QUOTE ]
1. He had no idea he was up against AJ. I could've had a pair or two live cards which would have significantly increased my odds of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

His push got the SB to fold, creating tons of dead money in the pot. Against your probable range of pushing hands, he's either slightly behind (PPs under KK) or significantly ahead (weaker aces). Either way, the dead money makes this a great situation for him.

[ QUOTE ]
2. See my post above in regards to my philosophy regarding making the money round trumping EV considerations when there are four players left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it. It's wrong. You can enjoy your extra third place finishes while the good players enjoy more 4ths and 1sts.

[ QUOTE ]
3. I would give him free advice because I want players to team up on the short stack. If I am ever in the Small Blinds situation, I will flat call and I will expect the Big Blind to do the same. When the Big Blind acts in that manner, it screws me...

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times when calling and checking down are correct. But not every time by any stretch. As for Big Blind "screwing you", poker is not a team sport. He made the right play for his $EV. You do realize that one 1st pays more than two 3rds, don't you?

Are you one of "those guys" who chats during the hand telling your opponent to check it down or who asks another player if he will call a push if you don't? I have the sneaky feeling that you are... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM

OK, you make some interesting points and I would agree that the only way to turn really nice profits playing these sit n gos is by finishing first. I'm going to think about it as I mow the yard right now... I may be close to being convinced, but it's going to be hard for me to give in on this one as teaming up on the short stack has been a staple of my play for a long time...
Old 07-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Without running the numbers, my initial response is it is a fine push, especially if there is any chance the small blind will fold.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, it is not a good idea to discuss strategy at the table nor really good to get in heated discussions while playing.

Welcome to the forums. Here is a link to a hand converter you may find useful. (You wrote the hand up fine, btw. I personally abhor raw hand history dumps. Run them through the converter and it will pretty them up, but make sure to preview the post because sometimes it screws things up slightly and you need to edit it.)
Old 07-08-2005, 02:50 PM

Cmon Slim... I'm definitely not one of those players who talks during a hand. I very rarely chat at all actually. I never talk [censored] on bad beats on bad calls by bad players. I'm always respectful of people unless they're out of line first and often. The only time I insult people is if they've insulted me first or if they dry bluff at pots with 10 high and enable a 4th place finisher to stay alive. I wasn't disrespectful to the guy in this post until he told me to 'suck his d***.) I don't think I've been anything but eager to learn new things here and certainly haven't been the least bit disrespectful. You would agree I hope? I've been looking for a good forum over the past couple of weeks and like what I see here. Anyways, enough of this defending myself crap... The yard needs to be mowed... rurgh [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Good to hear you don't chat during hands. Seen too much of that bs recently on the bubble so it's a pet peeve. And as others have pointed out, PP is very weak in reacting to that stuff.

No offense intended. Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The yard needs to be mowed... rurgh [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a metaphor, or is your lawn actually too long?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM

thx fnord! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM

no metaphor... lolol [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Nobody likes a table coach. Why would you tell someone how bad their play is? (whether it is bad or not)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said: I love when I run into it a have someone spout off incorrectly....I tend to just turn chat off, I for some reason play better with it off. I do toss it on after a rough hand to see if anyone is barking / bitching to possibly get a read on possible tilts but that's about it.

would you want someone coaching you? probably not. I think it was an isolation play on his part which a lot of us would do as well.