Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: TT - when waiting to raise doesn\'t protect your hand

[ QUOTE ]
This is actually a pretty good Paradise table. About 50% seeing the flop, not too much aggression without a hand...I liked it. No specific reads as I was only about 1 1/2 orbits in.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero ?

My thinking: I'm last-to-act against 2 other players, and the pot is 13SB to me. I can't protect my overpair by raising here, presenting the first 2 players with 14:1 to call. If I call and then raise the turn, the pot will be 8BB when it gets to me and I'll be giving any OESD or flush draw from the flop 10:1 to call. So, since I can't raise to protect, my inclination is to raise for value, "get my money in while I've got the best of it."

Is a raise here correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think i ever responded to this thread...
i haven't read what is likely a back and forth about this flop raise/wait for the turn...but my impression is that our hand is best an overwhelming majority of the time here combined with the quality of the opposition combined with the number of scary cards that will prevent us from raising the turn even though they are actually safe combined with the redraws we might pick up on the turn = raise this flop