Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: A nano preflop decision

Interesting. Calling was the only option that I pretty well ruled out, here, primarily because my read was that this pot was being capped regardless of my or UTG's action. My thinking:

I don't give UTG credit for being "good," or "thinking," or anything. I think he's probably on a pocket pair, or two big cards, or even something as bad as a high-middle-suited connector, but I'm not prepared to call it AA/KK/QQ/AK at this limit.

UTG+1 is short enough to not be able to play the whole hand, but not short enough to stack off before the turn. Furthermore, he's tilting as well as stacking off, and MP1 is goading him (the chat was priceless), so I don't give either of them credit for anything more than 2 cards, but also think that both of them will stay in for the duration of UTG+1's stack.

So, I'm looking at twice the money I'm putting in in dead money, and figuring I might be as good as 50/50 or better against UTG. Moreover, even if it's capped I'm still getting 5:1 on a hand that stands to be at least 5:1 of catching something I can play going into the flop.

So, I capped. I was hoping to chase UTG out preflop or at least put myself in a position to bet out on a scary flop and get rid of him, leaving me against two opponents that I figured to be ahead of. I agree with everybody that says it was close, and disagree with Brad about playing nanos...it's a great way to burn time while my kids are napping, eating supper, or just jumping up and down in the living room.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Calling was the only option that I pretty well ruled out, here, primarily because my read was that this pot was being capped regardless of my or UTG's action.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're playing I'd much rather call and let UTG tell us if he likes his hand enough to cap.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Just call it.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Calling was the only option that I pretty well ruled out, here, primarily because my read was that this pot was being capped regardless of my or UTG's action.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're playing I'd much rather call and let UTG tell us if he likes his hand enough to cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my reaction as well. If he caps, even at the nanos, I think that could give me info that will help me play postflop.

(I'm also curious how the pot was going to end up capped without help from UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 12-23-2005, 08:26 PM

*grunch*

I fold. UTG may very well cap the action when it comes back to him. Plus, this much action preflop very likely means your Ace is no good (AA, AQ, AK) or your only reasonable hope (QQ, KK, JJ) or even worse, both. I think I would call if I were LP or Button.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 PM

I'd call as it is two bets to us and although we are out of position we have a AJs which can play well on the flop. Especially with UTG+1 tilting I think us seeing the flop is a good idea. If an ace hits we can bet out to test what UTG has and how tilty UTG+1 is.