Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Defending a steal by re-stealing on the turn

Villan is TvAG (19/15/7.44) but seems weak (W$SD is 67). His Att. To Steal is around 38.

The table is a recently-typical skin table...tight-neutral, so I expected a steal attempt from CO or Btn, and my plan was to call if it would be HU, c/c any flop and check-raise the turn if the board were at all scary, or check-fold if I didn't like the look of it. When the flop came paired and low, I was ready to go.

Clearing a bonus at Empire Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

This is not a play I make regularly, but with so many weak-tighties that crap their pants when the turn gets raised I thought it might be a way to pull down a small pot. (Besides, I was bored to death.)
Old 10-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Defending a steal by re-stealing on the turn

3-bet preflop against this dude. he steals quite a bit.

since you called preflop, i think you played it in a fine way. he's so likely to continue betting so many hands that you actually beat on the turn, that your check raise is actually for value and gets him out of here before seeing the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop against this dude. he steals quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered this when he raised preflop instead of the Button (tight-passive, probably would've 3-bet him preflop), but decided that since his PAF was so high he might just put the pedal to the floor if he sensed an ordinary blind-defense line, and it would be tougher for me to continue without a piece of the flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:22 PM

This is cool. You have 50% equity preflop. 53% on the flop and 45% on the turn. Either play it like this or 3-bet preflop and lead flop and turn.

I am not sure what I would do if villain raised me on the flop if I 3-bet preflop and bet flop. I would probably muck it.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure what I would do if villain raised me on the flop if I 3-bet preflop and bet flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why I didn't want to 3-bet preflop. He seemed good enough that I didn't want to make it look like I was defending and give him the chance to re-steal on his own on a later street.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:43 PM

There is also the CR on the flop and lead turn line. I wonder which of the three is best.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 PM

I've made this play a few times myself. Some times I take down the pot right there, other times I end up looking like an idiot. I think this is a nice play as long as you pick your spots carefully and don't overdo it. "Regular" blind defense lines (reraise/lead or call/check-raise) are better for most situations.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:55 PM

I would only try this resteal if I've been defending recently by 3betting preflop and/or check/raising flops a lot. Those 2 methods cost a lot less, and usually work to the same efficacy as raising the turn.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:06 PM

I've read somewhere that the Turn C/R semibluff is one of the worst chip-spews in shorthanded play. Just thought I'd let ya know[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only try this resteal if I've been defending recently by 3betting preflop and/or check/raising flops a lot. Those 2 methods cost a lot less, and usually work to the same efficacy as raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things:

1. I did it this way specifically because I hadn't been defending in the past couple of orbits. I didn't want this to come off as a blind-defense, but rather as they way I'd been playing made hands.

2. As long as efficacy doesn't take into account the size of the pot, I agree. But, by doing it this way I'm getting an extra BB into the pot (and it's a full BB, as either 3-betting/leading the flop or calling/c/r'ing the flop costs the same number of SB before the turn). Of course, I'm also risking 2 BB, but you have no idea how bored I was [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].