Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: *Fraud Warning* Switching from AT&T to Cingular

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize Cingular and AT&T are no longer seperate companies right? Cingular bought out AT&T and they now run off the same network, someone is giving you faulty info.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I realize this. It is one company but they are really running as two different companies at this point. ie. I currently have an AT&T plan but I would have to change phones to move to a Cigular plan. I bought this phone about 4 month's ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider my mouth shut. Sorry for being cocky. After I posted this I had a hunch that this might be the case afterall.
~Justin
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Nepa is right that they are the same company, but operating as two different ones in many ways. I also am trying to switch over to Cingular from ATT and it sucks hardcore. I've been loyal with ATT for 7 years now so my plan kicks all of your plans in the ass. Every time my contract was going to expire theyd give me more anytime minutes or some other added bonus for signing another year contract. Currently I pay $29.99 for a nationwide plan, unlimited night and weekends after 7PM and 800 anytime minutes. They want me to switch over and pay at least $39.99 and get several hundred minutes less (this in addition to all the stuff Nepa said).
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Yeah I miss those $29.99 plans for people who don't use the cell phone that much. The cheapest plans Sprint has start at $39.99 I believe.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 PM

Even though they operate as 2 entities don't they share a large network, I know my Cingular phone read "At&t" the first day after the takeover was completed.
~Justin
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 PM

Try this
Old 04-07-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nepa is right that they are the same company, but operating as two different ones in many ways. I also am trying to switch over to Cingular from ATT and it sucks hardcore. I've been loyal with ATT for 7 years now so my plan kicks all of your plans in the ass. Every time my contract was going to expire theyd give me more anytime minutes or some other added bonus for signing another year contract. Currently I pay $29.99 for a nationwide plan, unlimited night and weekends after 7PM and 800 anytime minutes. They want me to switch over and pay at least $39.99 and get several hundred minutes less (this in addition to all the stuff Nepa said).

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't mind just staying with the AT&T plan. It just seems to me that they are degrading the AT&T service on purpose to force you to switch.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Until I quit a month ago for poker I worked for ATT Wireless and went through the merger to Cingular and all of this is true. ATT was really into keeping customers by giving them extra mins on existing plans but Cingular has no way to do this. If you are a customer who has received these bonus mins it is not a good idea to switch to a Cingular plan as they have no way to match the mins you had on ATT. There is no way they can do it so please do not yell at the poor customer service rep you get, it is not possible.

At this point, they are not forcing people to switch, other then not selling you a new ATT phone if you break yours and not offering any good new plans on the ATT side.

If anyone has anymore questions, please ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't mind just staying with the AT&T plan. It just seems to me that they are degrading the AT&T service on purpose to force you to switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, your ATT phone will work on Cingular's network anyway at no cost to you.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:39 AM

Like some of the others, I made the switch 2 weeks ago. The biggest problem I see is that if you break your current phone and dont have a backup, you are in deep trouble because the only good place to get an ATT phone would be ebay. Or if you are like me and you usually want new phones too often, you arent going to find an ATT one, but instead gonna have to pay a great deal more for an unlocked version.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:51 AM

I used to work for Cingular wireless so let me say a few things:

#1. ATT and Cingular use the same towers. Your level of reception WILL NOT increase from one company to another.
#2. A previous poster said T-Mobile has the same Network as Cingular. Cingular is in 98 of the top 100 markets, T-mobile isn't evenin 50.

With that said. If T-Mobile has good service in your area, and you live in the middle of a metropolital area. They can be the best choice.

If you travel to rural areas, or across the US. They are by far the worst.

If I were you, I'd call Cingular CS and talk to someone about the problems you are having. They've always been good for me even for the 6 months I didn't work there.