Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Why are most poker players liberal?

I am curious as to why this seems to be. I read many a different blog out there and it seems that the majority are easily on the left. Any thoughts on why?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Why are most poker players liberal?

There is a post a little lower that asks a very similar question, though, in a more deragotory way. You should check the posts there, but i'll give you the rational i gave him... (i do'nt know how to reference a post)

"Well-thought, educated post buddy. I agree with the above poster that i am more for not bush than for kerry. It involves weighing out the pros vs. the cons. The basis of your arguement is based on partism and is simply trying to generalize something that is really more specific. There are a group of people that fit in to just a far left, however, i don't think those are near the majority of democractic or more left than right posters. A guess to why you find so many so called "liberal" poker players is that if I were to characterize G.W.Bush as a poker player i would consider him to have the following qualities:
-Emotional rather than educated/mathematical in his decisions (ex. imposes his religious views on state decisions)
-Calling station (Ex. Won't "flip-flop" on any decision, even if he finds out that he is playing a losing hand. Isn't being stubborn on the wrong idea just so much better than admitting a wrongdoing?)
-Bad table image (Ex. Pisses off the rest of the world and, similarily, loses his table respect)
-Poor money management (ex. forget about the jobs loss, umm.. deficit?)
-Lack of Disciplin (Ex. Went to Yale after graduating from top middle and high schools, and couldn't go to enough class or do enough work to learn how to speak, read, or logically think. The war in iraq, while i do agree with its purpose, could've waited a bit a longer=No disciplin. Including, also, the lack of personal effort he puts into his job and policies; we can thank god for the republican adminstartion for taking care of that problem or we'd all be screwed)

There is more, but i am tired. I'd, lastly, like to just say that you shouldn't try to discourage the liberals from speaking out because that is what an educating discussion is comprised of. I think people often even challenge the right and present the left opinion just for the sake of debate and knowledge rather than political belief."
Old 10-15-2004, 02:33 PM

Smarter?

Just kidding, I don't know if I agree with the idea that the majority are liberal and the implied assumption that this isn't representative of the population as a whole. Are posters here on the left of the other blogs you read? I have no idea. Are they to the left of the population as a whole? I doubt it.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 PM

The reason why most of the people who post here are liberal is that poker players tend to be mathematically and scientifically inclined people. Such people are much more likely to be liberal. I was a physics major in college and the vast majority of my classmates and professors were liberal. My brother, who is working on his Phd in biology, says the same thing about his peers.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is more, but i am tired. I'd, lastly, like to just say that you shouldn't try to discourage the liberals from speaking out because that is what an educating discussion is comprised of. I think people often even challenge the right and present the left opinion just for the sake of debate and knowledge rather than political belief."

[/ QUOTE ]

By no means am I discouraging anyone. I have just begun to notice a lot more Bush bashing from fellow poker players. I am not looking to argue with anyone (done that with many a person about job losses that are actually job gains), but would have thought poker players would be more on the conservative side. Having worked hard to build a bankroll, not wanting to give it away, or have it taxed. Keeping government away from the online activities, etc.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:39 PM

I disagree. I'd guess what you're talking about is more a function of academia in general. Most literature profs I've known were pretty left-leaning too.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why most of the people who post here are liberal is that poker players tend to be mathematically and scientifically inclined people. Such people are much more likely to be liberal. I was a physics major in college and the vast majority of my classmates and professors were liberal. My brother, who is working on his Phd in biology, says the same thing about his peers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2004, 02:44 PM

the post i quoted was referencing a different poster. That comment was not directed at you. I agree with a point you just made, i also think you'll see more bush bashing than real liberals. For me, I'm not against the republican party by any means, but do, however, disagree with bush.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:07 PM

I don't think most poker players are liberal, but probably most of the one's posting on here are.

Not intending to patronize conservatives, but take a look at the definitions of "conservative" and "liberal" from the merriam-webster online dictionary:

"tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions "

or

"not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms"

I'm not sure whether people are identifying themselves with the sentiment of the former when they call themselves conservative, but it seems to me that the latter describes most good poker players, and open-minded people in general.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:25 PM

This is mostly wrong IMO.

First of all I have posted here for quite a number of years and disagree with your assessment that most posters on this forum are liberal. I have also played a lot of poker since the late 80's and disagree with the assessment that most poker players in general are liberal.

Secondly I think the more "hard science" someone is, the more likely they are to be conservative, as compared with those in the "soft sciences" or "liberal arts".

Third most of the smartest people on the 2+2 Other Topics/Politics forums, in my opinion, are libertarian or conservative with a few notable exceptions.

Fourth maybe when you and your colleagues get a bit older you will begin to realize the hidden truth in the statement:

"If you are in your 20's and aren't liberal, you haven't a heart. If you are in your 50's and aren't conservative, you haven't a brain."
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess what you're talking about is more a function of academia in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. The more you learn, the more likely you are to be liberal. Hmm...wonder why that is?

(You're also more likely to be agnostic or atheist, but that's another matter entirely.)