Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Noob post; How do you play a missed re-raised pf AK on the flop?

I would point out that one should eventually graduate from this hit set or fold mentality.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 AM

right but noobs shouldn't. Eventually once you know the player and the board texture you can play differently, but it's a great way for noobs to get in trouble.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
right but noobs shouldn't. Eventually once you know the player and the board texture you can play differently, but it's a great way for noobs to get in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Hence the word "graduate". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Whats a continuation bet? Just a pot or 2/3 pot bet after a previous raise was called?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, basically. Generally bet about 2/3rds of the pot. The smaller % of the pot you bet, the less often it has to work. 2/3rds is about right.

[ QUOTE ]
2) What do I do with a hand like 99 or KQs with one limper, me in the CO preflop? Re-raise, or just limp after?

[/ QUOTE ]
Either one is fine. Generally I'd raise so that I can take the pot down on the flop w/ a continuation bet, but I don't think limping behind would be considered a leak at all.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing about graduating from "no set no bet." Especially when you're in position, you can take the pot a fair amount.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and,

3) How the [censored] do I play mid pairs? With great great caution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call raises as long as they are less than 5% of the smallest stack between you and the raiser, consider calling them if they are between 5-10%, don't call if they are over 10%. Hit your set, get the money in, don't hit your set, fold. Actually they are the easiest to play. If its been limped to you i'd limp with them...if it's folded to you in late position i'll raise with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

great info. This thread has gone slightly off-topic but just one more question.

lets say I get 77-55 in EP/MP on a pretty pf-passive table. What should I do if I'm first in?

In my experience it is harder to get paid off if I hit a set in an unraised pot, so it doesn't seem that the implied odds are there for limping.

Of course I could raise first in, but for me that usually means trouble. OOP, overcards, callingstations etc etc.

Any hints on how / when to move on from set-farming?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 AM

On these limits people dont understand re-raises with AK so they automatically put you on a VERY big hand, KK or AA.

Ive had great luck getting people to fold jacks and tens with low cards after a reraise preflop, simply because they dont get why anyone would re-raise with AK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So i'd say: OOP or not, put a standard size bet out there. If you get a call and miss the turn, id say its a check fold situation.

Mickey