Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Calling raise with AK

$1/$2 NL

MP ($180) open raises to $8. Im the only caller. I call with AK in the SB. I have him covered.

Pot is $18. Flop comes K72 rainbow. This guy is pretty aggresive. He will fire on the flop AND turn with AA/AK/QQ/JJ.

Whats the best way to lose the least when he has AA/KK and win the most with QQ/JJ/AK?

Call his 1/2-3/4 pot bets down?
Lead the flop and fold to a raise? I dont know if he would raise QQ/JJ but I think its 50% possible.

I played a hand with him a while back. Button steal raises to $8. I reraise to $22 in SB with AA. This same villian calls my reraise in the BB. Button called also. Flop was Q high. I 2/3 pot and he min raised me which I called (Button folded). I checked the turn and he pushed with 99. I called and won.

Like I said, hes aggressive.

So what do you do with AK out of position against this guy?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Calling raise with AK

Interesting post. I hate this spot. What about calling his auto bet on the flop and leading the turn? Won't that give him the most to think about? Would he still raise there with QQ or JJ? Would he even consider that you had a set of 7's?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting post. I hate this spot. What about calling his auto bet on the flop and leading the turn? Won't that give him the most to think about? Would he still raise there with QQ or JJ? Would he even consider that you had a set of 7's?

[/ QUOTE ]

This method doesn't win the most against QQ JJ. It makes him fold them. The best is probably call the flop, call the turn, and make a blocking bet on the river. Is he agressive enough to raise your river bet with QQ or JJ or fire a third barrel? If so then you probably just check call the river too. If he won't raise you on the river without KK or AA then you can bet/fold on the river.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This method doesn't win the most against QQ JJ. It makes him fold them. The best is probably call the flop, call the turn, and make a blocking bet on the river. Is he agressive enough to raise your river bet with QQ or JJ or fire a third barrel? If so then you probably just check call the river too. If he won't raise you on the river without KK or AA then you can bet/fold on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Im going to bet/fold to a raise on the river...why not just check/call the river?

Lets say the pot is $110 when the river comes.
1) I can lead $50 and fold to a raise
He will fold QQ/JJ and I win the same as I would if I check and he checks behind

If he has KK, he raises and I fold but dont see showdown
If he has AA, he might call, might raise. Either way, its the same as if I check/call $50 because I fold to the raise and see the showdown for $50.

It seems to me that if he'll fire twice with QQ, then check/call all the way may be OK.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Call flop call turn bet river. You are ahead of his range...
Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call flop call turn bet river. You are ahead of his range...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet how much on river? Half to 3/4 pot?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:53 PM

Why call ?

Re rasie preflop or fold. ?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:55 PM

he's aggressive.

let him bet it for you.

check and call flop and turn, and if you're not all in by the river check-raise him.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:56 PM

How about re-raising before the flop, to around $24?

After all, you are the only two players in this pot, and he's an aggressive player who just made a standard open-raise. It seems like he could have almost anything at this point (assuming he's raising pretty often before the flop).
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about re-raising before the flop, to around $24?

After all, you are the only two players in this pot, and he's an aggressive player who just made a standard open-raise. It seems like he could have almost anything at this point (assuming he's raising pretty often before the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say he raises preflop with junk. He just continues to fire away sometimes when it appears hes beat. Other times he plays very well.

No way I want to reraise him preflop out of position.