Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Have you ever felt like this???

i was playing a 100+9 Sng last night.
my usual game is $55 but every now and then i give the higher limit a shot.anyway.
it was the second level with blinds of 30/60 i think and almost all 9 ppl had around 2000 in stack.
the hand was folded to me on the SB and i had K9o.
now i usually play very very thight untill the blinds get upto 50/100 and the field is smaller and then open up a little.
however this was not the case at all and the table was full.
i thought hey ive been playing pretty tight so far so i thought i play this hand.(i was prob bored of dolding as well maybe).so i raised 120 and the BB calls.
flop J 4 2 r .
i check ,BB checks after me.
Turn is J and i make a bet of 150 and he raises me another 150.
now here is my qestion:
at this stage before calling his raise:
my stack: 1700
his stack 1800
pot:600(rounded numbers)
now forgetting about pot odds and putting your opponent on a hand etc.
if you have a gut feeling that you can take the pot away from him and it may cost you another few hundered chips say 300 or 400 ,is it right to do it or not.
when i posting this hand i was not gonna mention the cards at all and i was just gonna ask ,is it right in early stages,after you get involved in a pot(in situations like described above) when you just know you can take the pot away but you cant back it up with facts.is it right to follow your instinct or im i just making too much of -EV play.
i can describe what lead me to believe i could take the pot away from his but at the end of the day its different for each individuale and the best way to say it is just a FEELING.
thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Have you ever felt like this???

This is easy. You just have to assign a percentage to how often he will fold. If you can accurately guess that, the rest is just a little math.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Have you ever felt like this???

You have to be very careful with 'feelings'. If you can't back your feelings with facts, there is a big risk your feelings are affected by your hopes, causing you to make bad judgements.

You shouldn't think of your opponent in absolute terms, trying to guess his hand. You should think of hand ranges, and those ranges can be adjusted by your reads, feelings or whatever you want to call them.

In this case, your read is that your opponent with a higher probability than an average opponent makes this move without a good hand. What you are really asking is: "Is my read strong enough to act on?". We can't help you with that, it's up to you to decide [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

My opinion on the hand if you want it is that if you want to bluff him out of the pot, do it on the flop. After his min raise, I let it go unless I somehow have a really strong read.