Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Rangers trade Soriano to Nationals

I can't decide. Which deal is worse, the Renteria deal or this one? SORIANO IS TWICE THE PLAYER of WILKERSON!!!! Slege and a minor leaguer do not make up for the difference in major league talent. The Rangers offense gets worse, and thier pitching did not get any better. If they take the money saved going from Soriano to Wilkerson and sign a quality pitcher, that will even things out a little.

This is a pretty bad deal for the Nationals as well, unless they move Vidro. When you move Soriano to the outfield, he is no longer the VERY BEST player at his position! In other words, as an outfielder, Soriano is probably only worth the difference in price compared to Wilkerson. So while the Nationals offense gets better, they pay for it.

I don't ever want to hear anyone say that Terrmal Sledge is in the same universe as Alfonso Soriano ever again. I think that is the most laughable statement I've ever heard. It rates right up there with comparing Dwight Gooden to Sandy Koufax as Hall of Fame candidates.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:56 AM

The last 2 years, Soriano has had a road OPS of ~ .685.

Sledges career road OPS (granted only 224 at bats) is .873.

The Rangers got a Centerfielder who costs 3 million and had an .800 road OPS in the last 3 years, Sledge who costs almost nothing, and a minor leaguer, for Soriano, who costs 8 million, and who will now play a corner outfield position.

So i dont see how this is a horrible trade for the Rangers.
Soriano is overrated.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last 2 years, Soriano has had a road OPS of ~ .685.

Sledges career road OPS (granted only 224 at bats) is .873.

The Rangers got a Centerfielder who costs 3 million and had an .800 road OPS in the last 3 years, Sledge who costs almost nothing, and a minor leaguer, for Soriano, who costs 8 million, and who will now play a corner outfield position.

So i dont see how this is a horrible trade for the Rangers.
Soriano is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to argue in the case of Terrmel Slege kills any credibility you might be able to gain. Sledge is a fourth outfielder, Soriano is a Major League superstar.

Soriano hit .306/350/.567 on the road in 2003 and .319/.352/.582 in 2002. It's a little thing I like to call sample size.

Soriano is not overrated, and if he is, it's only slightly. The most overrated player to move in this deal was Brad Wilkerson, unless you try and argue Sledge and Soriano as equals, then Terrmal Sledge is the most overrated.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 AM

As hitters, Fonz and Terrmel are very close in value. If Soriano gets converted to LF, he's slightly better and much more expensive than Terrmel. Surely you would agree that if Alfonso's in left he's not worth a) the money he gets paid more than Sledge and b) Brad Wilkerson.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:45 AM

No, Fonz and Terrmel are not close in value. Soriano is well worth the monetary difference over Sledge.

As an offensive player, Soriano is much better than Brad Wilkerson, even as an outfielder. There is the little issue of $5M, which evens things out. But it only evens things out if the extra money is spent wisely. That's going to be very tough to do in this market.

Soriano's value takes a huge hit if he moves to the outfield, which is why I think this is a lose/lose deal. There are many ways the Rangers could have gone to get more value for Soriano. I can't tell if this is a win now move (which they hurt themselves) or a win in the future move (which they hurt themselves)? To me, it looks like a deal for the sake of making a deal. Either that or a salary purge. If it's the latter, get prospects for crying out loud.

I guess I'll say here, if this deal was the precursor to another deal for the Rangers, (ie Manny) then things might make sense. For the Nationals, if they deal Vidro, it makes more sense.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't decide. Which deal is worse, the Renteria deal or this one? SORIANO IS TWICE THE PLAYER of WILKERSON!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to seriously question your knowledge of baseball if you believe this to be true. Its 2005, not 1998.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 AM

I think the point made earlier in the thread makes the most sense. This move is telling Nats fans "Hey look, we have somebody you've heard of. Come watch him play." This isn't going to make them any more competitive in the NL East but at least they have a player to market the team around, even if it is only for this year. However I don't know why the Rangers traded him for more hitters when they need pitching.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:38 AM

SORIANO IS TWICE THE PLAYER of WILKERSON!!!!

you are insane. they are closer to equal if anything.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:53 AM

soriano BRAR last 3 seasons (easier to do than EqA because we are discussing multiple players)

47 (2003)
20 (2004)
31 (2005)

lets weight then 3/2/1 and come up with an expected BRAR of 30 for 2006

wilkerson

projects to 33 BRAR for 2006

thats leaving out that wilkerson costs HALF AS MUCH AS SORIANO and a young cheap backup OF (who had a BRAR of 15 his rookie year) was thrown in?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? this is the BEST deal of the offseason, for the rangers of course!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:52 PM

This is the problem I have with Sabermetrics. As a general tool, it is very good at evaluating performance. In fact, from reading some of the explanations at BP, I believe that their theories are for the most part misinterpreted. But sometimes things get a little skewed. You can't honestly think that Wilkerson's performance over the last three years has been within 6 of Soriano? Also, it's nice how your little stats disregard 2002, which was Soriano's best year. It's likely that the stats don't give enough credit for Soriano's base stealing prowess. It's also very unlikely that they give Soriano any credit for his baserunning speed. 25 points in average and 25 K/162 for guys with the exact same OPS+ is going to make a big difference as well. To have Soriano and Wilkerson that close, the stats are lending too much value to the walk.