Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Default $1,000 1 table freezeout. What do you do here???

I played a $1,000+50 1 table tourney today at the bike. 11 players, 3rd gets money back, 2nd gets 3200, 1st gets 6600.

I am heads up against a player who is very aggressive. He raises almost every pot preflop and will bet out if he has anything, even 3rd pair.

Ok, so the blinds are 100-200. I have 6200 and he has 4800. I'm in the small blind/button with K7 hearts and raised frankly because I knew he would raise if I didn't.

I made it 500 and he calls. Now, he is a loose caller but he wouldn't just call any 2. He would call with SOME kind of hand, though, Even, say, 45 suited. By the way, if he had an ace or a pair, he would've reraised. OK, so the pot is 1K I now have 5700 and he has 4300.

Flop comes 10,7,2 all spades. He checks to me. What is the right play?

Things to consider:
1. He is very aggressive, so the fact that he checked means he seriously doesn't have anything. If he had a pocket or ace high he wouldve reraised me preflop. If he hit any pair on the flop, 2 pair, or even a set, he would've bet out even though I was the preflop raiser. So I was pretty sure that I was ahead. The only thing he has that currently beats me is if he flopped a flush.

2. I can't give him a free card because pretty much whatever comes on the turn is a scare card. Unless it's a 3,4, or 5 non spade, he could've improved. And if I check, he is guaranteed to bet the turn whatever he has, and I'll have no idea where I stand.

3. Because he is very aggressive, he is capable of coming over the top of me if I make any bet, and so if I bet, say, the pot which is 1k, he could easily push on me and I won't be sure what to do. I'd probably fold.

4. I have 5700, he has 4300, pot is 1k. A push feels a little extreme. But if I bet 1500 or less, I know he'll push with any 2. What should I do???

Results to come later
Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: $1,000 1 table freezeout. What do you do here???

"I have 5700, he has 4300, pot is 1k. A push feels a little extreme. But if I bet 1500 or less, I know he'll push with any 2. What should I do???"

So let me get this straight.

1) You know he has nothing.
2) You know if you check he'll bet out on the turn.
3) You know if you bet 1500 or less he'll push you all in.

Three options:
1) Dump the hand.
2) Bet 1500 or less, let him push, and since you put him on nothing, call.
3) Push, scare him off and take the pot.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:20 AM

"2) Bet 1500 or less, let him push, and since you put him on nothing, call."

What I mean is that he currently has no pair, but he could easily have 2 overs and a spade, and therefore it's pretty much a coinflip before the river. kx, qx, or jx with 1 spade is a major possibility.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Folding or not getting your money in on the flop both look pretty insane.

If the blinds will stay low for sometime I would just push so you can look for a better spot to get all the money in better then a coinflip against this guy since he is so bad. If the blinds are quickly rising you need to bet 1500 and call his push and gamble in a decent spot right now.

edit: with the chip lead.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM

"What should I do when I know I'm favorite against my opponent's range and I know a way to get it all in?"

Do it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 AM

""What should I do when I know I'm favorite against my opponent's range and I know a way to get it all in?"

Do it."

But my point is that I don't necessarily want to go up against him since he might have 2 overs and flush draw and therefore be a slight favorite. So pushing to take it right there is better, yes??
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
""What should I do when I know I'm favorite against my opponent's range and I know a way to get it all in?"

Do it."

But my point is that I don't necessarily want to go up against him since he might have 2 overs and flush draw and therefore be a slight favorite. So pushing to take it right there is better, yes??

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is VERY faulty logic. If his hand range is as wide as you say it is, and he really will get it all in with you with that entire range (This probably isn't actually true; I'm answering the question that you asked.) then you should do it. The fact that that range includes some hands against which this play is incorrect doesn't matter.

For example, suppose you have AK in the SB with blinds at 500/1000. Your opponent in the BB has 1k chips. Do you a) fold because your opponent could have AA, in which case calling would be wrong, or b) get it all in because you have your opponent's range crushed?

I hope this clarifies things.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:46 AM

Ok, so you would push, yes????
Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so you would push, yes????

[/ QUOTE ]

You said that if you bet 1500, he pushes 100% of the time. Therefore, I bet 1500.

The important thing to realize, though, is that you've asked a question in which you've made gigantic assumptions about your opponents play that make the correct play incredibly obvious.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 AM

"You said that if you bet 1500, he pushes 100% of the time. Therefore, I bet 1500."

Noah, the point is I don't want him to push. I don't want to coinflip the tournament at this point. If I bet he pushes and I call, I'm now the dog if he has 2 overs and a spade.